Rotherham: free parking for xmas shoppers. Will Sheffield respond?

The one way systems do not send you "miles" around, you can still get to where you want to go.

The fact that there is a bus lane on a road does not stop you driving down that road.

All of the measures you are mentioning are just something that drivers in big towns and cities encounter every day with no problem whatsoever.

The big point that you are missing on traffic calming is that it is there to save lives, prevent collisions or reduce their impact.

Would you like to try to explain to the: wife/husband/daughter/son/mother/father/friends of someone who has been killed or seriously injured, that a few seconds of your time is worth more than their loved one's life and limb?

The casualty rates that are reduced by traffic calming involve real people who really get killed and really get maimed. These deaths and injuries have a heavy cost, not just for the victims and their relatives and friends, but for the country's economy and the NHS / emergency services.

A balance has to be struck between people's desire to get to where they want to go as quickly as possible and the wider needs of others and society as a whole. Drivers will not slow down unless they have to and that's why we have traffic calming.

I've looked here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm

I can't find any deaths on the roads I mentioned with speed bumps in the areas where the speed bumps are, except on Manor Oaks Road (not really a major route, but they need sorting out on there, road has sunk)

What formula is used to calculate whether a road should have speed bumps or not?

Edited by anywebsite

Could they still not initiate a price war by taking theirs straight to the bottom?

Why would they do that? Altruism?

I'm going to take a guess here and say that you've never run a business?

Cheap and plentiful parking > new retailers > new shoppers.

Cheap parking on expensive city centre land? There's a quick recipe for rapid insolvency if ever I heard one.

The private sector wouldn't do anything so foolish and the council can't afford to.

Sheffield City Council to axe 'hundreds of jobs' [10 October 2012]

Sheffield to face £50m more cuts [October 19, 2012]

Council faces ‘savage’ spending cuts in order to balance books [10/10/2012]

The council could possibly get the money back from getting rates from new businesses filling empty shops, if the plan worked. Unfortunately SCC doesn't have as many car parks as it used to & people aren't suddenly going to spend much more money at the shops because parking is free, so it wouldn't have any effect. There's free parking on Sundays, when a lot of the shops are closed. The big problem is a lot of people don't have much money to spend, so there's no demand for parking or shops, free parking wont really have any effect.

I think Rotherham is too far gone, they'd have to pay me to go shopping in Rotherham centre.

Edited by anywebsite

Why would they do that? Altruism?

I'm going to take a guess here and say that you've never run a business?

Cheap parking on expensive city centre land? There's a quick recipe for rapid insolvency if ever I heard one.

The private sector wouldn't do anything so foolish and the council can't afford to.

Sheffield City Council to axe 'hundreds of jobs' [10 October 2012]

Sheffield to face £50m more cuts [October 19, 2012]

Council faces ‘savage’ spending cuts in order to balance books [10/10/2012]

I thought you were from Baaaaaaarnsley?:confused:

Have to say I love shopping in Rotherham. I park across from the market - so handy and reasonable charges- the market is fab. It's so easy to get to. Then, off to the fantastic Clifton Park afterwards with the kids, right on the doorstep, with better facilities than any park Sheffield can offer, especially for paddling in the summer.

Although it pains me to do so, I have to agree with Penistone999 about Sheffield seeming to be 'anti-car'. What is going on with the works near Wickes now? Yet more restrictions? And as for the parking services, well that's just got silly. Pity the council don't take tackling dog crap as seriously.

What do Barnsley and Doncaster have, that Sheffield doesn't?

Markets in the traditional areas that have been looked after and due to this are the main meeting areas in both towns.

Common theme, sheffield is anti car. How do you work this out. There are numerous car parks and prices to suit all.You can even park for free if you have the use of your legs. What people are saying is that they want to park outside the door of the shop because walking five yards might kill them. You see these types at supermarkets rather than parking 200yds from the store they drive around until they can get a space 20yds away. Have any of you ever been to Leeds, manchester or Nottingham because car parking and access are no better indeed ten times worse in my opinion. Please tell me a place you cant get to easily in sheffield if you have no disability. I find it an absolute doddle to park cheaply in sheffield, if i was lazy or maybe got little kids i may have to pay a premium or maybe i could get on the free city centre bus. Maybe people dont like the road system and find it too complicated, if this is so heaven help them in any major city

The council could possibly get the money back from getting rates from new businesses filling empty shops, if the plan worked.

I believe business rates are payable on empty property, so they get the money anyway:

Empty properties

You don’t have to pay business rates on empty buildings for 3 months. After this time, most businesses must pay full business rates.

Some properties can get extended empty property relief:

industrial premises (eg warehouses) are exempt for a further 3 months

listed buildings - until they are reoccupied

buildings with a rateable value under £2,600 - until they are reoccupied

properties owned by charities (only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes)

community amateur sports clubs buildings (only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club)

You need to contact your local council to let them know when your property becomes vacant.

From: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-rate-relief/exempted-buildings-and-empty-buildings-relief

I believe business rates are payable on empty property, so they get the money anyway:

Empty properties

You don’t have to pay business rates on empty buildings for 3 months. After this time, most businesses must pay full business rates.

Some properties can get extended empty property relief:

industrial premises (eg warehouses) are exempt for a further 3 months

listed buildings - until they are reoccupied

buildings with a rateable value under £2,600 - until they are reoccupied

properties owned by charities (only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes)

community amateur sports clubs buildings (only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club)

You need to contact your local council to let them know when your property becomes vacant.

From: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-rate-relief/exempted-buildings-and-empty-buildings-relief

Please answer post 66

Please answer post 66

There isn't a question in post #66

There isn't a question in post #66

Is there any valid reason as to why the derelict land that blots the Moor ,and is earmarked for a new market sometime in the next 100 years, cant be used as a temporary car park to give extra city centre parking spaces for shoppers. ?

Also this temporary car park could be Free parking to try and entice shoppers away from Meadowhall and into the city centre in the run up to christmas. Ok , there would be an initial cost to level and tarmac the land , but im sure SCC could find some money for this ,afterall they must have plenty considering the amount they fritter away on traffic calming measures.

Edited by Penistone999

Is there any valid reason as to why the derelict land that blots the Moor ,and is earmarked for a new market sometime in the next 100 years, cant be used as a temporary car park to give extra city centre parking spaces for shoppers. ?

Also this temporary car park could be Free parking to try and entice shoppers away from Meadowhall and into the city centre in the run up to christmas. Ok , there would be an initial cost to level and tarmac the land , but im sure SCC could find some money for this ,afterall they must have plenty considering the amount they fritter away on traffic calming measures.

There already is enough parking in SCC, don't see what you are complaining about.