'Owlerton' in the 50's.

Calling all you 'oldies' who went to watch Wednesday around '55 to '60. My Dad worked as a Commissioner on the Players Entrance on match days and was sometimes joined by his older brother,also a commisioner.I seemed to remember they looked a lot alike!

Their names were, Walter and "Bill" (actually,Wilfred)

I was a bit earlier than that. I saw Dooley play - and score. I think about 1952/3.

Lived near enough to the wednesday ground to hear every roar of the crowd especially when it was a home goal

Roundabout the early 60s a mate of mine and I used to get in free every home game,the way we did it was he used to borrow a season ticket from various pals of his.We used to go to the notorious Leppings Lane gate when it got busy where an old boy checked season tickets,one of us went in the other waited outside for a while.After a bit the one inside went to the old lad who was rushed off his feet by then and told him some excuse like"I,ve left my specs in the car"he let him out and he passed the season ticket to the other one then returned making a fuss of the old boy who let him back in.Then the one outside showed him the ticket and in he went to enjoy the freebie football match,it gave me a warm feeling as I,m a Unitedite!!.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

We lived on Penistone Road, the main road to the football ground.

On Match days my old mum used to stand at the end of the entry and wave to all the coaches, all tooted back or cheered, all looking forward to the game and happy about it.

Sadly in later years the police advised her and some other neighbours to stay in doors as they could be hurt by flying bottles or by other missiles thrown from the coaches.

This was the death of football as a sport and an enjoyable game as it was in the fifties and before the money & morons took over the game.

PopT Happy Days!

Edited by PopT

I had a job when i was about 14 on match days at Sheilas cafe at the bottom of Winster Rd. but actually on Penistone Rd.

We had a stall outside the cafe selling cigs,sweets etc. 1000s of people passed the stall to get to the game and we sold vast amounts of stuff between 2 and 3 pm. and also after the game as the crowds drifted home.

Never saw any crowd problems either.

They were Albion Days, Arrodbo Gone forever.

When men were men and the women were glad of em! Tee! Hee!

Happy Days! Popt