I need an electrician....or do I?

No need to get snippy, I didn't claim to be an expert, I was basing that on the quote from the Part P site;

The list below describes the types of electrical installation work and locations that require advance notification to your local authority's Building Control department.

and

Kitchen

Originally posted by BasilRathbon

Could I just say that despite all the above I'm still open to pm's from any qualified electricians willing to change the light fitting referred to in the very first post of this thread!

Try this one Basil: Gary 07791 198584. Over 30years exp. and is Part P qualified. I use him and he is v good.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Cyclone

No need to get snippy, I didn't claim to be an expert, I was basing that on the quote from the Part P site;

and

Not being 'snippy' just sarcastic as the thread had obviously drifted towards sarcasm. :thumbsup:

This link probably explains better than the previous one. Check the chart for whats allowed etc.

http://www.wyrebc.gov.uk/Council_Services/Building_Control/Help_and_Advice/Electrical_Safety_in_Dwellings_and_Part_P.asp

Only trying to help

End of my posts on this subject

I went on one of these course's a while back to get a certificate to do a job that I have been doing since I left school.

What a waste of time, but the steak pie we had in the pub for lunch wasw great.

They say PART P is to weed out the Cowboy's, but these are the very people who dont care about the law anyway and carry on regardless.

All it is doing is pushing the honest trader's price's up and tempting the customer to use the cowboy who is cheaper.

p.s Someone on this thread said earlier 'how will they know what work you have had done'.......well just to be sneakey, at the begining of last year all the colour code for mains wiring changed so all mains cable changed from red/black to blue/brown.

ttfn

pps in my opinion swapping a light fitting even if it is in the kitchen shouldn't be a problem as you are not creating a new circuit or altering one. I'm certian that swaping light fittings is allowed but the wording of PART P is so vauge someone else may tell you other wise

I was just about to say the same hj dary - the wiring colours were changed at the same time as Part P coming in, they're not that stupid :)

Also many building materials are dated which makes the investigators job easier.

Part P is a serious pain in the arse though as I can't run new sockets in for appliances in kitchens etc. without getting it certified although to be honest when you see some of the DIY bodges there are some people who should definitely be kept away from electrics altogether.

As far as I'm aware you are allowed to swap a fitting in any room including the specials (kitchen & bathroom) as you're not adding or taking away from a circuit.

Originally posted by fnkysknky

I was just about to say the same hj dary - the wiring colours were changed at the same time as Part P coming in, they're not that stupid :)

Also many building materials are dated which makes the investigators job easier.

Part P is a serious pain in the arse though as I can't run new sockets in for appliances in kitchens etc. without getting it certified although to be honest when you see some of the DIY bodges there are some people who should definitely be kept away from electrics altogether.

As far as I'm aware you are allowed to swap a fitting in any room including the specials (kitchen & bathroom) as you're not adding or taking away from a circuit.

My feelings exactly fnkysknky. Glad someone in the trade added his voice to this thread, thought I was all alone.:clap:

PS. this really is my last post on this subject.:thumbsup:

Does any one have any idea of the costs involved in getting work, such as rewires etc certificated by the relevant authorities?

Ah BasilRathbon do you have anything to do with the secretcamera wireless LAN that we've found around the town hall?

Originally posted by fnkysknky

It's different all over the country but here is the list for Sheffield

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/how-we-work/buildingstandards-building-control/submitting-application-/electrical-inspection-charges

Rewire inspection is £220

Thanks mate Good Info :thumbsup:

Originally posted by cisdht

Ah BasilRathbon do you have anything to do with the secretcamera wireless LAN that we've found around the town hall?

If it'd been me wiring it up it would never have worked!

Mind you, it's certainly giving us a fair bit of publicity....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/szk87/

usually a couple ofways to secure fitting to ceiling.

1. try to unscrew the whole unit, could be screwed onto a rose.

2. small screws at the base of the fitting, which ofetn get painted or artexed.

3. could be a small dedcorative "knob" protruding between the fixings this should unscrew & the lights slide down the pole.

4. crowbar or a big hammer usually works.

after that be slow & methodical with the wires - after pulling the fuse for the lighting circuit.