I need an electrician....or do I?

Have bought a "triple cluster spotlight" light fitting for my kitchen to replace the old one, on which two of the light sockets have rusted away. A friend has assured me that fitting it should be as easy as changing a plug, but what's baffling me is how to get the old one off, as I can't work out where it unscrews. Now I'm sure if you know what you're doing, the replacement is probably a ten minute job, but with my unimpressive track record with electrical items, my girlfriend thinks I should get a qualified electrician in to do it.

So, have any amateurs out there tried this and succeeded?

Alternatively any qualified electricians are welcome to pm me with a quote (but check my location!)

If you're at all unsure get an electrician in. It's just not worth risking it.

Please PM me and I should be able to guide you in the right direction!

Whats the existing fitting?

Matt

PM SARCASTIC, I think she should be able to recommend someone from the forum.

:D

Try our resident electrician - Johninit

Originally posted by BasilRathbon

Alternatively any qualified electricians are welcome to pm me with a quote (but check my location!)

I think your just bragging the fact that "Hoyland" now has electric. :hihi:

I'm certainly no expert, but changing a light fitting is really straight forward.

Once you get past the sticking point of not being able to find out how it's secured, it should just be a matter of unscrewing it from the ceiling, detaching the wires and then reversing the process for the new fitting.

Take the fuse out of the lighting circuit first in your fuse box.

Originally posted by viking

I think your just bragging the fact that "Hoyland" now has electric. :hihi:

Cheeky tyke! We're technologically advanced in Hoyland - we even have a secret spy camera in the town hall!:D

I've changed light fittings without killing myself, as long as the wires in the celing are colour coded you should be fine.

If you are replacing the light fitting like for like you are able to do so without contravening the new Part P building regulations.

The kitchen is deemed to be a 'Special Location' as is the bath/shower room and any Electrical work outside.

Their is still a lot of confusion about what you can and cannot undertake if you have any doubts best to seek a good 'sparky' to do the work.

IF ANY 1 NEEDS AN ELECTRICIAN USE

OPEN ELECTRICAL NETWORK 07834717115.

I USE THEN WHEN I NEED TO AND THEY ARE VERY GOOD AND RELIABLE THERE NUMBER IS

07834717115.OPEN ELECTRICAL NETWORK 07834717115. OPEN ELECTRICAL NETWORK 07834717115. OPEN ELECTRICAL NETWORK 07834717115.