Sign in to follow this  

Should Iran be bombed?

Originally posted by kay_cee

Sorry guys, but no way should we let Iran develop nukes, we saw 4 years ago what carnage mere 'box cutters' (stanley knives) caused in the hands of Islamic fundamentalists - Let them develop nuclear weapons????

Are you out of your minds?????:loopy:

so does that give us a legal right to stop them?

Originally posted by Cyclone

Who gives a fig?

Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

Who gives a fig?

you best be hoping that the chinese aren't thinking that way then.

Originally posted by Cyclone

Sorry Cyclone, but allowing Iran to continue developing 'the weapon' is utter foolishness. Stopping them is prime, and whether thats legal or not doesn't come in to it when the lives of millions are at stake.

That doesn't mean I think we should just 'bomb Iran' - I don't.

I have loads of Iranian friends and all of them hate their government. The anti western demonstrations you see on TV from Tehran are Govt. organised, They are told to be on the streets at such a time, and wo betide anyone who is known to be missing, There will be plenty of other ways to stop this without indiscriminate bombing.

we can hardly claim to be upholders of the law and bastion of civilisation if we disregard it whenever we see fit, either we operate within the law, or the law is meaningless.

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

Who gives a fig?

Presumably you wouldn't give that advice to the Iranian regime?

It's sound advice from one perspective - can you blame the Iranians for following it?

Sorry guys, but no way should we let Iran develop nukes, we saw 4 years ago what carnage mere 'box cutters' (stanley knives) caused in the hands of Islamic fundamentalists - Let them develop nuclear weapons????

Eh? What did Iran have to do with 9/11?

Are you out of your minds?????:loopy:

You are a Weapon of Mass Hysteria.

I have loads of Iranian friends and all of them hate their government...

There are loads of British and American people who hate their government. When will you start campaigning for them to give up their own stocks of WMDs?

Originally posted by Greybeard

There is a sober assessment of the situation in the Guardian today.

Well posted Greybeard, a thoroughly thought provoking piece. I wish that all the people on here who post "bomb them into oblivion" kneejerkisms (is that a word - expect not) would read it and think again. I think the last line sums it up rather neatly -

" If you cannot stop a man buying a gun, the next best bet is to make him your friend, not your enemy."

Originally posted by kirky

well if they are making nuclear weapons i say yes..sooner the better,i don't think they would think twice about launching a nuclear attack on the west so i think the place needs flattening.

and how will you know if they are ? Let me guess Israeli planted intelligence will tell you that will it ?

One of the biggest scandals post Iraq has been the total silence to investigate how all of the western intelligence agencies came to believe that Iraq had WMD!

As if to simply say we were all wrong is sufficient.

As for the they wouldn't think twice about launching a nuclear attack on the west, again what is your evidence for this assertion ??? The Sun ? Melanie 'Israeli' Philips ?

As far as I can recollect, Iran hasn't launched an attack on any of its immediate neighbours, never mind holding aspirations on bombing kirky out of his bunk bed.

This is a silly and absurd argument. It reminds me of Jack Straw saying those famous words 'Its upto Iraq to PROVE it has no WMD', whilst his masters in Washington were pulling the plug on the Inspectors.

If Israel is ******* off all its neighbours, thats Israel's problems. Why should my tax be used to help Israel ?????

Iran has said that 'having' nuclear weapons, does not in itself strengthen its national defences. To the contrary, the Iranians have a bit of a superiority complex (no too different from us in the west), they like to hark back to the label as one of the cradles of civilisation just like we like to 'bigup' anything to do with the Roman civilisation. From their perspective, they want the knowledge to boast technological superiority over their neighbours.

As for all this nonsense about non nuclear proliferation. I'm sure that the nuclear powers of the day were claiming to want to remove their arsenals (or certainly take steps to do so), well 50 years later the US is making differing kinds of nukes, so it can hardly be shocked that others have seen through its hollow claims and want to pursue their own technological know how in regards to nuclear technology.

Finally kirky, there's nothing written that says a so called democratically elected leader can possess nukes and everyone else cant. History shows that so far, its only been a so called 'Democratically' elected leader that has used nukes twice to kill hundreds of thousands of innocents.

Israel (with the help of the self rightous west) developed nuclear weapons, and indeed has the largest stockpile in the whole of the middle east. It may think that its the 'mini me' of the US in the region but in reality its the catalyst of all the recent turmoil in that part of the world.

If you want to sacrifice your energy, your money and your life to protect some dumb racists who are still waiting for the coming of the Messiah, then thats your choice. Dont however try and dress up your crazy love for Israel by bringing Democracy or threats of bombs raining from the skies in Britain into it.

Originally posted by wolfman

Dont however try and dress up your crazy love for Israel by bringing Democracy or threats of bombs raining from the skies in Britain into it.

Whilst I agree with much of what you've said, when has kirky ever claimed to be pro-Israeli? I don't remember this.