Sign in to follow this  

Is Democracy working?

The only true utopia in my opinion is anarchy. Not the in the form that is popularly associated with the word - chaos, lawlessness, and so on, but in the form of no governing body, each person is equal, each person works for the benefit of each other, their are no laws, because people intrinsically know what is ethically and morally right and wrong, there is no idea of "want", no greed, no bigotry or intolerance, etc. etc. etc. The anarchic society is essentially and ideally one of equality and benevolence, where everyone has everything they need for a comfortable life.

Yes, I know this is a hopelessly idealistic view - especially in our current “democratic” society, where avarice seems to be a strong driving force, where the social and economic elite reap the majority of the benefits, and where, unfortunately, intolerance is rife.

In my opinion, democratically elected governments have never - or rarely at best - equally represented the population - they may initially purport to represent everyone equally, but once elected, those with the most money and power seem to have the loudest voices - large corporations, and the minority rich continuously lobby the government for their own benefit, whether it be for the right to build on greenbelt land, controversial contracts, or tax reforms/exemptions, etc. while, for example, the single parent struggling to pay the weekly rent is threatened with eviction and lives in fear of potential homelessness.

So, no, I don’t believe democracy is working, but then I don’t believe that our society as a whole is working particularly well either.

Just my humble opinion though folks :)

Originally posted by Hodge

The only true utopia in my opinion is anarchy...

So, no, I don’t believe democracy is working, but then I don’t believe that our society as a whole is working particularly well either.

Just my humble opinion though folks :)

As a stout supporter in principle of the Anarcho Syndicalist outlook, one of the most interesting problems (some would say the the only one) is how to get there from here.

A mass change in conciousness would be required. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

However, anarchosyndicalist concepts can be woven in to life's daily fabric on a local level with surprising ease, and many small urban groups with common interests adopt it without knowing.

Our parliament must approve constutional change (in the abscence of armed revolt at least), and as such it can be considered closed to any proposals that might signify the end of parliament. Not surprising really, but galling all the same - the forces of conservatism will always resist truly radical reform of any kind.

Originally posted by halevan

I suppose the powers that be beleive that with us having a first class educational system in the UK, the people are intelligent enough to decide who are qualified to govern us. We have the benefit of comprehensive news coverage, I.E. TV, Newspapers, radio, to help us make up our minds. It is not as though we are all illiterate idiots and havent got a brain.

The media is also used to surppress, dominate and manipulate the masses.

According to one Labour MP. Britain is now a one party country. It may be contemptible and arrogant for him to say this but on the other hand it may also be true.

With an unprecedented 10 year lead in the polls with only a one week blip (The fuel Protest). We have seen military victories in Serbia, Afghanistan and Iraq:

In my opinion Blair has never been more vulnerable right now. It is true though he is not vulnerable from any other one party but he is his own worst enemy. It is widely thought that Blair and Nulabour are becoming complacent and showing extraordinary arrogance.

Some people think that Nulabour is disintegrating and it's not hard to see why with this little list:

Mandleson....twice.

Geoffrey Robinson

Clare Short

Alan Milburn

Robin Cook

Frank Field

Michael Meacher

Steven Byers

Nick Brown

Chris Smith

Harriet Harman

You expect a few casualties in six years but this little lot certainly makes you wonder?

I'm just curious to see if Blair is giving Peter Hain enough rope before he kicks away the stool. Of course Brown is waiting across the seas for his golden chance.

I think we are seeing something not dis-similar to the last days of Majors government, except this lot have another two years to run.

When Blair finally gets his way and bounces us into the EU we shall be a 'none party' state; ie, a dictatorship. How future generations will curse this man!

I would probably call that a conservative estimate. This administration is a bit like the borg...