If you can give blood, why dont you?

If you can give blood why dont you?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If you can give blood why dont you?

• Dont like needles
    • scared of fainting etc
    • never thought of it
    • dont agree with it

id love to give blood ,but cant because im on warfarin,my dad gave blood and got a gold badge,i was very proud of him :)

I can not give blood due to the fact that i have piercings and it takes up to a year i was told till i can give blood,then i went back to be told no again as i am bi and i've had a relationship with a bi male.

But i know i am clean i've not got no std of any kind ( i have my blood tested every 6m for medical reasons) and i find it very annoying that gay/bi people can not give blood because of this even if they can prove the blood is clean.

I understand if the blood did not go through testing befor but it is passed on but it is so why all the fuss,and i do wonder how many people have lied about there sexuality and gave blood with out no fuss and came out all ok.

Originally posted by t020

Ecclesall Road leads to Ecclesall, but it isn't IN Ecclesall, no matter what Estate agents might tell you.

Just likke London road or Chesterfield road lead TO those towns (if you follow in the right direction in any case)

I cant give blood because I've received a blood transfusion! :( something about the possibility of CJD. Which is reassuring!

Originally posted by ANGELUS

Cant they just test people for druggies and alcoholics before they give blood? Then they can be turned down.

I suppose many would deem that an invasion of privacy, in this glorious age of personal freedoms that we live in.

Is it possible to have a stockpile of one's own blood in a hospital? I'd like to build up a stash of my own blood incase I ever need it. That way I won't have to have someone else's blood in me with any diseases that might slip through the net.

Just ask for a stash of my blood, should you ever get knifed on the mean streets of Sheffield.

It's of an even purer quality than yours.

I give as often as I can but it's often difficult because of the times, I wish they did it on Saturdays/Sundays as I would be able to do it more regularly.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Just test the blood, or blood products, FFS, and screen for any nasties. Simple as! As I understand it, the sample is tested, anyway, choose what, so what the heck difference would it make?

It's wrong.

PT

Because, after infection there is a 'window period' before the body produces any antibodies to the HIV virus. This can sometimes be up to six months, and the person would still screen as negative despite having high levels of the virus in their blood.

I agree however that the system needs revising to be made equal between homosexual and heterosexual people. Many heterosexual people with risky sexual practices can slip through the net on the questionnaire.

Is it possible to have a stockpile of one's own blood in a hospital? I'd like to build up a stash of my own blood incase I ever need it. That way I won't have to have someone else's blood in me with any diseases that might slip through the net.

Trouble is, it doesn't have an indefinate shelf life.

I think there may be a 'sell by' date on it.

Originally posted by RoyalRegular

I think there may be a 'sell by' date on it.

thats right. red blood cells is 40 days, platelets are 5 days, etc.

you like starting threads and polls don't you loz?

Is it possible to have a stockpile of one's own blood in a hospital? I'd like to build up a stash of my own blood incase I ever need it.

I have my own Intravenus ready LOOK :thumbsup: