New Naturist Swim starting in November

Well all I can think of is people prefer to swim naked to either look at or be looked at by others otherwise why not wear swimwear?

When thinking about it did it not occur that, in addition to the somewhat 'pervy' 2 options you came up with, could be things like 'just prefering the feel of swimming naked', or, simply lacking the strange hang-ups some people have about the naked body?

By the way I am not trying to have a go at anyone I am just struggling to understand the reasons behind it and would like anyone to explain them to me.

I disagree- I think you are having a go at people. I think on some level you are the type of person who does have a hangup about nakedness and who doesn't like the thought of those who don't, being allowed to get together and enjoy being naked.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 22:48 ----------

Try me.

A couple of things about this event raise concerns for me.

1/ Anyone can roll up on the day and take part.

2/ Under 18's allowed if supervised.

And.....

What's the problem? Why shouldn't anyone be able to turn up and take part.

Why shouldn't under 18's (supervised) be allowed: Naturism isn't restricted only to those aged 18+

Edited by onewheeldave

When thinking about it did it not occur that, in addition to the somewhat 'pervy' 2 options you came up with, could be things like 'just prefering the feel of swimming naked', or, simply lacking the strange hang-ups some people have about the naked body?

I disagree- I think you are having a go at people. I think on some level you are the type of person who does have a hangup about nakedness and who doesn't like the thought of those who don't, being allowed to get together and enjoy being naked.

Well you think wrong and since when has asking a straight question been a crime?

And where do I say I don't like the thought of people being allowed to get naked and enjoy it?

I have not tried to judge anyone but asked for peoples explanations and you start going on about people having hang ups:loopy:

Take a long hard look at yourself with a reply like that.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 21:54 ----------

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 22:48 ----------

And.....

What's the problem? Why shouldn't anyone be able to turn up and take part.

Why shouldn't under 18's (supervised) be allowed: Naturism isn't restricted only to those aged 18+

Well the way I see it is this advertised event stating under 18 year olds may be there and it is open to everyone gives the possibility of any sicko turning up....

I would have thought some kind of checked membership more suitable.

[/b]

Well you think wrong and since when has asking a straight question been a crime?

And where do I say I don't like the thought of people being allowed to get naked and enjoy it?

I have not tried to judge anyone but asked for peoples explanations and you start going on about people having hang ups:loopy:

Take a long hard look at yourself with a reply like that.

It's you who equated nakedness with some kind of weirdness- it's you who can only see voyeurism as a reason for people who value the right to be naked wanting to get together. Perhaps it would be appropriate for you to take a long hard 'look' at yourself :)

[/b]

Well the way I see it is this advertised event stating under 18 year olds may be there and it is open to everyone gives the possibility of any sicko turning up....

I would have thought some kind of checked membership more suitable.

'Sicko turning up'? I'm sure if a 'sicko' (whatever that means) turns up, I expect the responsible adults there will deal with them? 'sicko' can turn up to any event, for example, a bingo meet, a pub crawl, or a knitting circle- that doesn't mean that bingo meets, pub crawls and knitting circles should require checked membership.

I think naturists get so much prejudicial public opposition that keeps their numbers low, that the last thing they need is an obligation to run 'checked membership' at their events.

The only difference between naturist events like this, and the other events I just mentioned, is an absence of clothes- enforced 'checked membership' would only further reinforce the unjustified associations with perversion that much of the misguided/confused public seem to tag onto them.

Can anyone explain to me why they think it is better to swim naked than with swimwear on?

Here's the question again to anyone who wishes to give a sensible reply and not take it as anything but a genuine question.....

Here's the question again to anyone who wishes to give a sensible reply and not take it as anything but a genuine question.....

I think it's because they are naturists- they tend to like doing things without clothes when it's possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturism

It's you who equated nakedness with some kind of weirdness- it's you who can only see voyeurism as a reason for people who value the right to be naked wanting to get together. Perhaps it would be appropriate for you to take a long hard 'look' at yourself :)

'Sicko turning up'? I'm sure if a 'sicko' (whatever that means) turns up, I expect the responsible adults there will deal with them? 'sicko' can turn up to any event, for example,

a bingo meet, a pub crawl, or a knitting circle- that doesn't mean that bingo meets, pub crawls and knitting circles should require checked membership.

The only difference between naturist events like this, and the other events I just mentioned, is an absence of clothes- enforced 'checked membership' would only further reinforce the unjustified associations with perversion that much of the misguided/confused public seem to tag onto them.

Surely even you can see the difference between this event and the highlighted ones above.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 23:55 ----------

I think it's because they are naturists- they tend to like doing things without clothes when it's possible.

That doesn't answer the question we all know they are naturists the question is why do they prefer to swim naked than with swimwear on what makes it a better experience for them?

Surely even you can see the difference between this event and the highlighted ones above.
The difference is that this event involves people without clothes. If that doesn't make it clear, then simply tag on an event involving swimming- say, a swimming meet. That's identical in every way to this event, with the exception of the clothing element.

Getting to your point- a standard swimming event does not require registered membership- so, why should this one, when the only difference is the absence of clothing?

That doesn't answer the question we all know they are naturists the question is why do they prefer to swim naked than with swimwear on what makes it a better experience for them?

You asked a question, and, my reply is an answer (one answer- others may have different answers).

Did you read the link?

It explains the various motivations of naturists-

if you do know what naturism is about, then it should pretty obvious that they like to swim naked because they like being naked.

I find it really bizarre that you're asking why people who like being naked, want to swim without clothes.

Why do you not get that people who like being naked would want to swim without clothes.

What other possible motivation could they have, other than the fact that they like being naked?

(obviously there can be other reasons in addition to liking being naked, such as more political ones based around challenging the widespread public opposition to people choosing to not wear clothes etc).

The difference is that this event involves people without clothes. If that doesn't make it clear, then simply tag on an event involving swimming- say, a swimming meet. That's identical in every way to this event, with the exception of the clothing element.

Getting to your point- a standard swimming event does not require registered membership- so, why should this one, when the only difference is the absence of clothing?

You asked a question, and, my reply is an answer (one answer- others may have different answers).

Did you read the link?

It explains the various motivations of naturists-

if you do know what naturism is about, then it should pretty obvious that they like to swim naked because they like being naked.

I find it really bizarre that you're asking why people who like being naked, want to swim without clothes.

Why do you not get that people who like being naked would want to swim without clothes.

What other possible motivation could they have, other than the fact that they like being naked?

(obviously there can be other reasons in addition to liking being naked, such as more political ones based around challenging the widespread public opposition to people choosing to not wear clothes etc).

So in your words people like to swim with no clothes because they are naturists and like being naked...A pretty bland answer.

You still fail to answer the question of why people prefer to swim naked rather than in swimwear.

We know they are naturists and we know they like it but the question is, WHY DO THEY LIKE IT AND PREFER IT?

What do they get from it that they could not get by wearing swimwear?

You really are failing in your chance to promote this pastime to new people.

gotta agree with backhome. Its a fairly reasonable question he/she is asking.

You still fail to answer the question of why people prefer to swim naked rather than in swimwear.

I'm not a naturist, but have enjoyed swimming naked on a number of occasions.

The answer I would give, is that it feels nice. It's liberating. It's being at one with nature.

I'm not a naturist, but have enjoyed swimming naked on a number of occasions.

The answer I would give, is that it feels nice. It's liberating.

It's being at one with nature.

My bold.

In Chapletown swimming pool with a bunch of strangers?

Thanks for your reply on your experiences I have actually come across naturism in numerous parts of the world and am genuinely interested to know the reasons people consider they benefit from it.

Edited by backhome

I'm not trying to promote it- it's the op's responsibility to promote their event.

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 23:07 ----------

So in your words people like to swim with no clothes because they are naturists and like being naked...A pretty bland answer.

We know they are naturists and we know they like it but the question is, WHY DO THEY LIKE IT AND PREFER IT?

What do they get from it that they could not get by wearing swimwear?

'Bland' it may be, but, as you yourself have just admitted, it is an answer.

How about you now answer my questions?

After all, when you have a bath/shower, it would be perfectly feasable, would it not, for you to wear some swimwear? Yet you choose not to. Why?

Yet you then question why a group of naturists- people who by definition, prefer to not wear cloths when possible, given a choice between swimming in swimwear, or, swimming without swimwear, would choose the latter.

You could go along to events like this and swim naked. Why do you choose instead, to swim wearing swimwear?