Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Well, he is actually the solicitor dealing with the enfranchisement. However, as it's Sunday & i was pondering the issue i thought I'd write on here in case it would help anyone else & see what people's opinion is. I'll be emailing Mr Shaw to ask for an update in the week. In the meantime, maybe someone else has some useful input?

Well, he is actually the solicitor dealing with the enfranchisement. However, as it's Sunday & i was pondering the issue i thought I'd write on here in case it would help anyone else & see what people's opinion is. I'll be emailing Mr Shaw to ask for an update in the week. In the meantime, maybe someone else has some useful input?

Sorry but i didnt think J Shaw would let things go for so long and not sort it or give an explanation not very good is it :loopy:

He was also the conveyancer who dealt with the sale of my house & i don't particularly think he's being complacent now. He is very professional. After all, i haven't instructed him to actually do anything yet. Other than send coppen another letter last year. I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are with Coppen. How obstinate were they? Like i said, I'm in no rush, so have time on​ my hands.

He was also the conveyancer who dealt with the sale of my house & i don't particularly think he's being complacent now. He is very professional. After all, i haven't instructed him to actually do anything yet. Other than send coppen another letter last year. I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are with Coppen. How obstinate were they? Like i said, I'm in no rush, so have time on​ my hands.

My daughter bought a house in S13 about 5 years ago they were horrible and did it through insurance to get completion . There were about 10 houses about 30 years old and Coppen holds freehold and previous owner had not paid G. R.for 6 years. Turned out Coppen were making one of the other houses pay it for them all , I shall be attempting to buy the free hold for her soon so please keep me posted . Thanks. Spider 1 :loopy::hihi:

Don't touch anything with leasehold. The Mosborough townships are a ticking timebomb, with many properties less than 60 yrs to run on their lease, thus making them unmortgageable. This seriously affects property prices!

Like most all generalisations, that's terrible advice. (See what I did there?)

Look at the duration of the lease, there are many in Sheffield with 800 or 900 years still to run and a rent of £2/year. That's not a ticking timebomb, more of a slightly warm woopee cushion.

Don't touch anything with leasehold. The Mosborough townships are a ticking timebomb, with many properties less than 60 yrs to run on their lease, thus making them unmortgageable. This seriously affects property prices!

Or... seek advice before purchasing. Leases can be extended or the lease (sorry, freehold reversion) bought. These things have predictable / knowable / confirmable costs that you can then factor into the price you are prepared to pay. Yes, it's more complicated than desirable but it doesn't need to be a barrier to purchasing a property.

Or... seek advice before purchasing. Leases can be extended or the lease (sorry, freehold reversion) bought. These things have predictable / knowable / confirmable costs that you can then factor into the price you are prepared to pay. Yes, it's more complicated than desirable but it doesn't need to be a barrier to purchasing a property.

True. In my experience, not all solicitors explain the leasehold aspects fully enough before the purchaser client exchanges contracts.

True. In my experience, not all solicitors explain the leasehold aspects fully enough before the purchaser client exchanges contracts.

Not all solicitors even seem to understand them. The solicitors for the person buying my parents old house, on having found out it was leasehold (house remember) kept demanding that they be sent details of the annual maintenance charge and asking other questions that only apply to flats.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

If I don't know the answer to a question, I tell the client "I don't know."

If I'm asked for advice about an area of law which I do not handle, ditto;

and I refer the client to somebody who does know.

No solicitor should ever be guessing in unfamiliar legal territory.

Coppen Estates want to charge me about £300 for "permission" to have a one storey extension built on my home. Is this standard practice? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this - any advice etc gratefully received!

Coppen Estates want to charge me about £300 for "permission" to have a one storey extension built on my home. Is this standard practice? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this - any advice etc gratefully received!

No such fee is payable or even lawful.

Why? Well, let's look at s.19(2) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927.

It's copied below, from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/17-18/36/section/19, with my added underlinings:

In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld; but this proviso does not preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent the payment of a reasonable sum in respect of any damage to or diminution in the value of the premises or any neighbouring premises belonging to the landlord, and of any legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with such licence or consent nor, in the case of an improvement which does not add to the letting value of the holding, does it preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent, where such a requirement would be reasonable, an undertaking on the part of the tenant to reinstate the premises in the condition in which they were before the improvement was executed.

Briefly, that means as follows:

1. L cannot refuse/delay consent to an alteration that improves the property.

2. L cannot charge a lump sum fee.

3. L can charge only its properly-incurred legal and administrative fees for issuing consent.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw