Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Based on a few previous judgement by FTT  for cost to buy  the  freehold  title for a leasehold house  under 999 year leases , is around 18 x annual ground rent.    So for £2 p.a ground rent , the cost  would be £36 + conveyancing costs.  But I suspect  they won't sell  or reply.

You may   obtain  information  of previous FTT   judgements  from  Residential Prop Tribunal Service ( Northern Region) , 1st Fl, Picaddily Exchange , Manchester M1 4AH.

Edited by topflat29

14 hours ago, topflat29 said:

Based on a few previous judgement by FTT  for cost to buy  the  freehold  title for a leasehold house  under 999 year leases , is around 18 x annual ground rent.    So for £2 p.a ground rent , the cost  would be £36 + conveyancing costs.  But I suspect  they won't sell  or reply.

You may be right that Coppen won't reply.

But it does have to sell. The Leasehold Reform Act 1967 is not mere decoration; T's rights are enforceable.

Morning all,

We are lucky enough to have a house with the leasehold under Coppen (740 years remaining). 

We are looking to carry out some modifications to the house and am interested to understand what our requirements are for serving notice.  Specifically the 3 areas that would possible come under this are, removing 1 load bearing wall, removing 1 non-load bearing wall and replacing the asbestos cement remove roofing on the garage (like for like no change to size or shape of garage roof. The lease states we must inform the freeholder if we are to make any 'STRUCTURAL' alterations to the dwellinghouse.

If relevant our intention is to purchase the leasehold at first opportunity (after 2 years living in property) 

Couple of questions: 

1) Is there a tried and tested definition of structural alterations in this context? (some say this is defined if a wall is load bearing as a non load bearing wall is not considered integral to the structure but wonder if that is more of an engineers definition rather than legal)

2) What of the 3 outlined changes are we likely to need to give notice on? 

3) How do we give notice and what information do we need to provide? 

4) does any of this matter if we are going to purchase the lease before we are likely to sell the house? 

Er, that's four (not a couple!)

And a public forum is an inappropriate place to ask for and expect to receive detailed legal advice. Sorry.

You need to ask these questions of your own solicitor, armed with up-to-date official copy entries (leasehold and freehold reversion) plus a copy of the lease.

LOL, one post wonder wanting expert legal advice for nowt.

You absolute joker.

Hi

I’ve read through and can’t find anyone on my circumstances so am asking more questions about Coppen Estates. 
My house has a 60 year lease. I’d like to extend or buy the freehold version. I also have never received an invoice for ground rent so just want to get square with them.

I understand it’s going to be difficult given the thread here but I’m looking for advice on potential costs and the process please. 

Thanks

Costs will be pretty substantial with such a short lease, with that amount of money involved you best consult with a solicitor experienced in this area.

On 04/10/2021 at 16:27, Sanderberry said:

I also have never received an invoice for ground rent so just want to get square with them.

This is often because the original lease covered more houses than just yours.

Coppen is probably receiving the whole lease's rent from a neighbouring leaseholder who is unaware of (or not bothering to exercise) the right to collect from you an apportionment of that rent.

Even if so, this not detract from your entitlement to purchase your property's f/r. If the lease has only 60yrs unexpired, all of the houses' leaseholders ought to be doing the same!

Has anyone had recent dealings with Coppen/PAS property management? They hold the leasehold for my property which I have sold. However, despite paying for an LPE1 to be completed two months, I’ve had no correspondence and no one has managed to contact this company despite many calls/voicemails/emails. I’ve never had problems contacting them previously, any help or suggestions greatly appreciated 

8 hours ago, Kat said:

Has anyone had recent dealings with Coppen/PAS property management? They hold the leasehold for my property[1] which I have sold[2]. However, despite paying for an LPE1[3] to be completed two months, I’ve had no correspondence and no one has managed to contact this company[4] despite many calls/voicemails/emails. I’ve never had problems contacting them previously, any help or suggestions greatly appreciated[5]

[1] No, you own the leasehold or underleasehold. Coppen and/or PAS owned a freehold reversion or a leasehold reversion or both.

[2] Has your sale been completed or do you mean just that you've found a prospective purchaser?

[3] This form has little relevance to houses. It's designed for flats.

[4] Not unusual.

[5] Not easy. How many years are remaining on your property's lease/underlease; and is it a house or a flat?

Thanks for the reply, it’s a flat that has been sold but we cannot complete without an LPE1 form, which has been paid for. PAS manages the property and need to provide the information on the form for the buyers solicitor. As far as I can tell from my solicitor this form is imperative for us to complete, it is the only thing holding this up. Do you have anything you could recommend? I’ve owned the flat for 4 years and have never had an issues until recently with contacting them or getting response. Thanks

No. For a flat, the LPE1 provides important information from the landlord to the prospective purchaser- re ground rent, service charge, management arrangements, breaches, fees, etc. Perhaps your solicitor could offer to retain funds out of the sale proceeds, to cover anything that might be owing to PAS; but even that won't surmount the need for information re management arrangements, breaches, fees, etc. Is there a management company/agent separate from PAS?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw