Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

On 04/02/2021 at 02:28, SteelCitylass said:

I am also an unfortunate who is having to deal with PAS property services. They have my money yet are not completing the desired paperwork that I need and have paid for for completion of the sale of my property. I have emailed and left numerous phone messages as has my solicitor. I was wondering if anyone knows who they are registered under as a property management service and what their registration number is? 

I was wondering if you could apply to the Magistrates Court for getting the documents signed ?

14 hours ago, topflat29 said:

I was wondering if you could apply to the Magistrates Court for getting the documents signed ?

No. But if the purchase is proceeding under statutory powers [Leasehold Reform Act1967 or similar],  it is possible to seek a County Court Order authorising a CC Judge to execute the Transfer on behalf of the defaulting landlord. The purchase price is thereupon paid into court funds.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Wow - I have just managed to talk to someone (Robert) at Coppen Estates on the phone as I have just received my annual ground rent invoice.

There is an admin charge on there for non-payment of last year's ground rent.  I didn't pay because I didn't get an invoice, but apparently it is my responsibility to tell them that I haven't got it!

I also asked about the arrears charges that are there from non-payment of the insurance charge.   I have sent the required notice in every year, but apparently I have completed it incorrectly.   I asked what was wrong with them, but they won't tell me because they are not required by law to tell me!

Two years ago when I did manage to talk to someone about this, I was told they don't look at them until a sale is going through and then if they are in order they will take it off the invoice.     Clearly they have changed their plan to fleeces as much money out of people as possible.

What an awful company they are!

I hope you told them to stick their admin charge and arrears charges?

On 13/02/2021 at 10:49, geared said:

I hope you told them to stick their admin charge and arrears charges?

I am going to compose a letter to them tomorrow and pay this year's charges only.    When I sent them a cheque 2 years ago, I told them that it was full and final payment for the account to date and they should only bank the cheque if they accepted that.    I was only paying the due ground rent even though they had put about £300 or arrears for the insurance on, and they did in fact bank the cheque - so as far I am concerned that has cleared all the arrears.   I will not pay the arrears from then as I have no idea how they have arrived at the new figure.    I will pay last year's ground rent and this year's but no further arrears.  I think I might also pay the £12 admin for missing last year's rent even though I consider it unfair.

Having checked the lease, I can see that to be fair I should be paying the ground rent without an invoice, but this invoice does include the ground rent due in September so they shouldn't be asking for that yet.   I think in future I will send them a cheque just before the due date every 6 months rather than the double payment every year just to give them a bit extra work!   The ground rent is only £15 pre annum, so I reckon two cheques of £7.50 will cost them more in admin than its worth!

I wonder if anyone from Coppen Estates sits and reads this thread.

Probably chuckling to them selves at what dicks they are.

On 11/02/2021 at 13:25, kporter229 said:

Wow - I have just managed to talk to someone (Robert) at Coppen Estates on the phone as I have just received my annual ground rent invoice.

There is an admin charge on there for non-payment of last year's ground rent.  I didn't pay because I didn't get an invoice, but apparently it is my responsibility to tell them that I haven't got it!

I also asked about the arrears charges that are there from non-payment of the insurance charge.   I have sent the required notice in every year, but apparently I have completed it incorrectly.   I asked what was wrong with them, but they won't tell me because they are not required by law to tell me!

Two years ago when I did manage to talk to someone about this, I was told they don't look at them until a sale is going through and then if they are in order they will take it off the invoice.     Clearly they have changed their plan to fleeces as much money out of people as possible.

As I previous;y posted, please read s.166 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002. I've copied it below, with my bold print added. Since it came into force (31 May 2005), NOT ONE of Coppen's ground rent demands has been compliant. It does not serve any Notice containing the statutorily-required wording with information for the tenant (= leaseholder) and the dates that it uses often do not comply either. The rent is not swept away, of course- a valid demand can cover rent that would otherwise have fallen due.

So:

a. it has never validly demanded rent; and

b. you've never been obliged to pay rent; and therefore

c. no 'late payment' penalty is due either. Coppen knows this but continues to ignore the law.

166. Requirement to notify long leaseholders that rent is due

(1) A tenant under a long lease of a dwelling is not liable to make a payment of rent under the lease unless the landlord has given him a notice relating to the payment; and the date on which he is liable to make the payment is that specified in the notice.

(2) The notice must specify—

(a) the amount of the payment,

(b) the date on which the tenant is liable to make it, and

(c) if different from that date, the date on which he would have been liable to make it in accordance with the lease,

and shall contain any such further information as may be prescribed.

(3) The date on which the tenant is liable to make the payment must not be—

(a) either less than 30 days or more than 60 days after the day on which the notice is given, or

(b)before that on which he would have been liable to make it in accordance with the lease.

(4)If the date on which the tenant is liable to make the payment is after that on which he would have been liable to make it in accordance with the lease, any provisions of the lease relating to non-payment or late payment of rent have effect accordingly.

(5)The notice—

(a)must be in the prescribed form, and

(b)may be sent by post.

(6) If the notice is sent by post, it must be addressed to a tenant at the dwelling unless he has notified the landlord in writing of a different address in England and Wales at which he wishes to be given notices under this section (in which case it must be addressed to him there).

(7) In this section “rent” does not include—

(a) a service charge (within the meaning of section 18(1) of the 1985 Act), or

(b) an administration charge (within the meaning of Part 1 of Schedule 11 to this Act).

(8) In this section “long lease of a dwelling” does not include—

(a) a tenancy to which Part 2 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 (c. 56) (business tenancies) applies,

(b) a tenancy of an agricultural holding within the meaning of the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 (c. 5) in relation to which that Act applies, or

(c) a farm business tenancy within the meaning of the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995 (c. 8).

(9) In this section—

“dwelling” has the same meaning as in the 1985 Act,

“landlord” and “tenant” have the same meanings as in Chapter 1 of this Part,

“long lease” has the meaning given by sections 76 and 77 of this Act, and

“prescribed” means prescribed by regulations made by the appropriate national authority.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

On 14/02/2021 at 11:35, kporter229 said:

I am going to compose a letter to them tomorrow and pay this year's charges only.    When I sent them a cheque 2 years ago, I told them that it was full and final payment for the account to date and they should only bank the cheque if they accepted that.    I was only paying the due ground rent even though they had put about £300 or arrears for the insurance on, and they did in fact bank the cheque - so as far I am concerned that has cleared all the arrears.   I will not pay the arrears from then as I have no idea how they have arrived at the new figure.    I will pay last year's ground rent and this year's but no further arrears.  I think I might also pay the £12 admin for missing last year's rent even though I consider it unfair.

Having checked the lease, I can see that to be fair I should be paying the ground rent without an invoice, but this invoice does include the ground rent due in September so they shouldn't be asking for that yet.   I think in future I will send them a cheque just before the due date every 6 months rather than the double payment every year just to give them a bit extra work!   The ground rent is only £15 pre annum, so I reckon two cheques of £7.50 will cost them more in admin than its worth!

I only paid them every 6 months rather than yearly for the inconvenience to them. I also don't trust them having more money upfront than they are entitled to. 

I did manage to get my documents signed after multiple voice messages left and also calling at their office (despite them saying no personal callers) however, they are unfortunately getting their supposed insurance renewal charges and maintenance from the proceeds of sale as otherwise it would have delayed things further. However, i have been doing some digging on them as a management company and it seems they aren't registered with either the property redress scheme or the property ombudsman which is illegal if so. Therefore, i will be reporting them once everything clears. Hopefully, give them a shock and a massive fine! 

Stop them messing us good folks about! 

On 02/07/2020 at 16:38, Jeffrey Shaw said:

I don't think that Coppen uses e-mail. Or computers.

I was given this email by my solicitiors for Coppen and PAS. I don't think they make it common knowledge or check or respond but worth a try 

coppenandpas@hotmail.co.uk

Steelcitylass,

I am in the same position, am considering also reporting. Could you tell me what the process is? Is it a police matter or something else? 

Coppen attempted to enter the modern world last year and Robert emailed me my invoice with the usual incorrect insurance payment request, and the entered into an email correspondence with me regarding it. Waiting for this years to arrive and if it is incorrect I intend to report as I now have a record of me informing them that my last 7 years of billing is incorrect.

Ian

Hi. Does anyone have an email address kther than coppenandpas? 
hoping i can contact robert

desperately need some paperwork to allow our sale to complete, which we have paid for, can anyone help please?

I believe that Coppen/PAS do have an e-mail address but:

a. I don't know what it is;

b. I've been told that their people rarely look at, or reply to, incoming e-mails; and

c. you should instead be seeking advice from your own solicitor- perhaps obtaining an Indemnity Insurance policy.