Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

1. If the lease does not contain a covenant requiring the Tenant (T) to obtain consent from the Landlord (L), you don't- it's as simple as that, and Coppen cannot unilaterally change the rules.

2. Even if L's consent is needed, beware of paying an inordinate amount for it. See s.19(2) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 [yes, really] below, with my added underlining:

In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld; but this proviso does not preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent the payment of a reasonable sum in respect of any damage to or diminution in the value of the premises or any neighbouring premises belonging to the landlord, and of any legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with such licence or consent nor, in the case of an improvement which does not add to the letting value of the holding, does it preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent, where such a requirement would be reasonable, an undertaking on the part of the tenant to reinstate the premises in the condition in which they were before the improvement was executed.

3. This means, in short, that:

a. L cannot refuse consent unreasonably;

b. T does not need to pay L a lump sum for consent; but

c. L is entitled to demand only its proper fees for giving consent- nothing more.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

We are currently having problems with coppen. Trying to sell property and firstly Coppen did not send the managent pack to solicitors as paid for because ground rent was owed. 

Asked how much ground rent and they given us 3 figures in 2 day and also added 10 years of insurance on to the invoice. 

I have read others speaking of the insurance charge and they said Coppen charging them yearly,,well we lived property 14 years and never been advised or charged and now as wanting to sell they have back charged it all. This surely can not be legal practise.? We have disputed due to fact never been advised and would have served notice on fact have other insurance in place. Waiting on response from them

Edited by mattwood111

Doubt they'll respond, they rarely do. 

With insurance you need to check what is written in your lease, does it even mention anything in there about fees?.

You're not obliged to use their insurer or pay a fee, but you do need to serve a yearly declaration.  Thats assuming it's in the lease obviously.

Jeffrey has posted a more accurate breakdown of what you need to do several times in this sub-section, should be easy enough to find.

Edited by geared

NB: never pay > 6yrs arrears anyway. Debts beyond that period are time-barred: Limitation Act 1980.

In the past we’ve found Coppen to be hard to a hold of or slow to respond. However, we recently asked for permission to build an extension. It took a while to get them to respond but they did eventually. I don’t think they check their emails very often.

Anyway, we got permission fine, it cost £300 which I didn’t think was too bad. They were quite helpful this time around and told us what we did and didn’t need permission for. 

Once we paid written permission was emailed to is to place with the lease.

Last year the ball was started in trying to purchase the freehold, my solicitors finally got an answer from their solicitors beginning of this year we agreed the price, then Covid struck and we have not heard anything from Coppens solicitors. Our solicitors we have been told have been trying to get in touch with them but to no avail.  We have already paid some money to them as a deposit and it it coming up to nearly a year since this was started. Are the solicitors working?  I presume if we rang our solicitors and they ring around, our bill increases? I haven't been able to track down who their solicitors are, does anyone know? do they have an email address?

19 hours ago, Retired-person said:

Last year the ball was started in trying to purchase the freehold, my solicitors finally got an answer from their solicitors beginning of this year we agreed the price, then Covid struck and we have not heard anything from Coppens solicitors. Our solicitors we have been told have been trying to get in touch with them but to no avail.  We have already paid some money to them as a deposit and it it coming up to nearly a year since this was started. Are the solicitors working?  I presume if we rang our solicitors and they ring around, our bill increases? I haven't been able to track down who their solicitors are, does anyone know? do they have an email address?

Just ask your solicitor who they agreed the price with ???

21 hours ago, Retired-person said:

The deposit is statutorily payable even if the price has not at that stage been agreed.

But Coppen often takes a while to deal with matters; this may explain why its solicitor does not always reply promptly.

The solicitor whom Coppen uses is in Chesterfield. However, no solicitor is permitted to correspond with another solicitor's client; you should therefore not contact him direct.

The only way to enforce your entitlement to buy is by using the tribunal procedure, via the Residential Property Northern Region - First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber): see https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/courts/residential-property-northern-region-first-tier-tribunal-property-chamber?q=First Tier Tribunal

2 hours ago, prince al said:

Who owns this company?

Just type in Coppen Estates to companies house.

I am also an unfortunate who is having to deal with PAS property services. They have my money yet are not completing the desired paperwork that I need and have paid for for completion of the sale of my property. I have emailed and left numerous phone messages as has my solicitor. I was wondering if anyone knows who they are registered under as a property management service and what their registration number is?