Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

i have a semi in S13 freeholder coppen never paid any ground rent even when offered  whats going on had it for 10 yrs

On 04/06/2020 at 18:26, Ianh29 said:

The sale is near completion but our solicitor has received a demand from Coppen for £270 for annual insurance approval charges/damages for breach of insurance covenant which suggests my brother in law didn't tell them either perhaps. They also indicate the purchaser will be charged £45 per annum for the same approval. Are these charges legal or allowable or can we reject them safely without compromising the sale and transfer of the lease to the purchaser. The copy lease I have doesn't mention charges for the Insurance approval.

See earlier posts #244-248 which relate to insurance. If the lease does not restrict it, no fee at all is payable to Coppen; surely your solicitor has explained this to you?

And re consents: even if no consent to alterations was obtained, any supposed breach of a one-off covenant is 'cured' by the passage of > 12yrs. It's now too late for any complaint of breach: s.8(1) of Limitation Act 1980.

But you must refer-back to your own solicitor to verify that my understanding of the facts is supported by the title documentation.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Hi 

My partner and I are thinking of buying our lease from coppen estates.

We have lived in the house for 4 years and paid our ground rent each year.

The lease has approx over 500 years left on it (i would need to get the documents out to be sure) and we pay £12 a year plus a charge for insuring it with our own choice of insurer.

Where do we even start?

Jeffery Shaw ...are you a solicitor who could do help action this for us? 

This is our first home and we just want to buy the freehold so we can do as we please.

Any advice would be great! 

Thank you 

On 11/06/2020 at 21:07, Jodie14 said:

Hi 

My partner and I are thinking of buying our lease from coppen estates [A].

We have lived in the house for 4 years [B] and paid our ground rent each year.

The lease has approx over 500 years left on it (i would need to get the documents out to be sure) and we pay £12 a year plus a charge for insuring it with our own choice of insurer. [C]

Where do we even start? [D]

Jeffery Shaw ...are you a solicitor who could do help action this for us? [E]

This is our first home and we just want to buy the freehold so we can do as we please.

Any advice would be great! 

Thank you 

A. No. You already own the lease- see B. What you wish to buy is Coppen's freehold reversion.

B. As you have owned the lease for > 2yrs., you have a statutory right to the freehold reversion: see the Leasehold Reform Act 1967.

C. The insurance fee is not payable if (a) the Lease contains no restriction or (b) you serve an annual s.164 Notice.

D. Do not try approaching Coppen without professional assistance. The cost is likely to be swelled by its fees, payable by you.

E. Yes, if you wish- but you'd need to contact me direct during office hours.

Is it still Coppen general practise to completely ignore any communication until official documents drop through their door?

18 hours ago, geared said:

Is it still Coppen general practise to completely ignore any communication until official documents drop through their door?

Often, yes. Coppen rarely:

a. replies to letters from tenants; or

b. negotiates other than with a tenant's Chartered Surveyor.

Good Lord! Who are these people, they sound horrendous.

1 hour ago, prince al said:

Good Lord! Who are these people, they sound horrendous.

They're the reason you don't buy leasehold.

or if you do, you make absolutely sure you know what you'll be dealing with.

Does anybody have an email address for Coppen Estates?

Don't even waste your time

18 hours ago, Jas said:

Does anybody have an email address for Coppen Estates?

I don't think that Coppen uses e-mail. Or computers.

How strange, thanks anyway