Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Standard advice is to get out from under Coppen as quickly as you can.

Can someone help!! We bought a house back in 2012 and was told by the solicitors if we was to have the insurance to which was advised to use then we wouldn't have to pay anything but was told after 2 years its fine to swap. Now we did that we are getting charged a fee of 45 pounds every year. What can we do about this please ??? 

Thanks 

Edited by Nadeem02

Jeffrey is your man.

but if you do abit of searching on here the subject has come up several times, along with the correct answer.

I believe all you need to do is send them a letter, in the correct format and such.

can annual insurance approval charge for 5apr-4apr 2020 be challenged ? or only 14 days after taking out insurance. Also who is their approved insurer?

A house's tenant (leaseholder) T can use s.164 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

This requires an Annual Notice of Cover to the landlord L. If it's validly served, L cannot charge any fee to T.

it seems that it can only be 'validly served' within 14 days of taking out cover?

i also just noticed that they only charge me 5£ every six months as opposed to 30£ p.a. is it worth notifying them of this so that when it comes to sell (i want to sell within 6 months) i wont have problems or just leave it?

also where do they get their fee structure from ? i.e 45£ for annual insurance charge. This is not an amount written on the lease?

Yes, you take out cover and then send notification to the landlord within 14 days.

(1)This section applies where a long lease of a house requires the tenant to insure the house with an insurer nominated or approved by the landlord (“the landlord’s insurer”).

(2)The tenant is not required to effect the insurance with the landlord’s insurer if—

(a)the house is insured under a policy of insurance issued by an authorised insurer,

(b)the policy covers the interests of both the landlord and the tenant,

(c)the policy covers all the risks which the lease requires be covered by insurance provided by the landlord’s insurer,

(d)the amount of the cover is not less than that which the lease requires to be provided by such insurance, and

(e)the tenant satisfies subsection (3).

(3)To satisfy this subsection the tenant—

(a)must have given a notice of cover to the landlord before the end of the period of fourteen days beginning with the relevant date, and

(b)if (after that date) he has been requested to do so by a new landlord, must have given a notice of cover to him within the period of fourteen days beginning with the day on which the request was given.

(4)For the purposes of subsection (3)—

(a)if the policy has not been renewed the relevant date is the day on which it took effect and if it has been renewed it is the day from which it was last renewed, and

(b)a person is a new landlord on any day if he acquired the interest of the previous landlord under the lease on a disposal made by him during the period of one month ending with that day.

(5)A notice of cover is a notice specifying—

(a)the name of the insurer,

(b)the risks covered by the policy,

(c)the amount and period of the cover, and

(d)such further information as may be prescribed.

(6)A notice of cover—

(a)must be in the prescribed form, and

(b)may be sent by post.

(7)If a notice of cover is sent by post, it may be addressed to the landlord at the address specified in subsection (8).

(8)That address is—

(a)the address last furnished to the tenant as the landlord’s address for service in accordance with section 48 of the 1987 Act (notification of address for service of notices on landlord), or

(b)if no such address has been so furnished, the address last furnished to the tenant as the landlord’s address in accordance with section 47 of the 1987 Act (landlord’s name and address to be contained in demands for rent).

(9)But the tenant may not give a notice of cover to the landlord at the address specified in subsection (8) if he has been notified by the landlord of a different address in England and Wales at which he wishes to be given any such notice.

(10)In this section—

• authorised insurer”, in relation to a policy of insurance, means a person who may carry on in the United Kingdom the business of effecting or carrying out contracts of insurance of the sort provided under the policy without contravening the prohibition imposed by section 19 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (c. 8),

• house” has the same meaning as for the purposes of Part 1 of the 1967 Act,

• landlord” and “tenant” have the same meanings as in Chapter 1 of this Part,

• long lease” has the meaning given by sections 76 and 77 of this Act, and

• prescribed” means prescribed by regulations made by the appropriate national authority.

On 24/02/2020 at 17:48, avromo said:

i also just noticed that they only charge me 5£ every six months as opposed to 30£ p.a. is it worth notifying them of this so that when it comes to sell (i want to sell within 6 months) i wont have problems or just leave it?

If you serve the notice correctly you don't have to pay them a penny.

also where do they get their fee structure from ? i.e 45£ for annual insurance charge. This is not an amount written on the lease?

They charge what they want, there's no obligation to follow any fee structure.

Follow the rules and you'll pay them nothing.

it seems that it can only be 'validly served' within 14 days of taking out cover?

nb. this does not constitute legal advice...but my understanding having gone through the same.

To be valid you have to issue it to Coppen within 14 days of insuring, yes. 

Worth reading your lease carefully, if the covenant to direct insurance isn't in there, you can tell Coppen where to go

Edited by iwbsheff

On 28/02/2020 at 12:49, iwbsheff said:

Worth reading your lease carefully, if the covenant to direct insurance isn't in there, you can tell Coppen where to go

Yes. Coppen does not always read the precise provisions. If the covenant does not restrict the choice of insurer:

a. Coppen can't introduce a restriction or demand a fee; and

b. no s.164 Notice of Cover is needed either.

When you refer to £5 per half-year (or £30 per year), are you meaning:

a. ground rent; or

b. insurance consent fee?

hi, i realise this is a couple of years ago,

just wondering if you managed to buy freehold and if it was an easy process buying from them.

been reading about coppen and problems people have had with them

Well i have a house in Handsworth for 10 years Coppen holds free hold and i have not paid anything  they do not want to know when i try to contact them whats going on with them

Hi 

We are looking to buy the freehold from Coppen  estates for our property. I’ve contacted them a couple of times enquiring, but I’ve had no response.

I see a few posts on here about Coppen Estates, which suggests the its a long drawn out process with them and they are difficult to work with. 

We have 800 year lease from 1932 and I’m  unsure if it’s worth buying rather than apply to make changes to the property. 

The problem is getting any of information from Coppen at all Regarding prices etc. 

Does anybody have any advice for dealing with them?

Is it worth buying such a long lease? 

Thanks in advance 🙂