Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

I'd not recommend starting work unless and until the leaseholder has:

a. freeholder reversioner's consent; or

b. completed purchase of the freehold reversion.

Rushing ahead can be a very costly error if it constitutes a breach of the leasehold's covenants. What will you tell your (eventual) purchaser, for a start?

i requested the consent by letter and received the consent by return on the condition that i send the building regs cert copy when available and work finished.

Thanks for the replies so far, I will pass the information on.

I think the problem is with Coppen Estates and the fact that they won't respond to any correspondence. Hence, trying to find out if any Solicitors out there have any luck with this Company!!

Thanks again.

They own my lease too - they never respond.

Let me know if you have any luck-

No. YOU own your lease- hence you're a leaseholder.

Coppen most likely owns your freehold reversion, i.e. the freehold estate that's subject to your lease.

Let me know if you have any luck-

just give them a ring? they always speak to me and advise quite happily

"just give them a ring? they always speak to me and advise quite happily"

Is that because you keep offering them free money? They probably dance a jig when your number comes up.

Hi - lots of horror stories on here but has anyone successfully negotiated a lease extension with Coppen Estates?

Last summer we purchased the freehold with the professional help from Jeffrey Shaw. Takes the stress out of it but Coopen may ask for a larger some that you estimate. Jeffrey provided options and we made the decision what route to take. This will make our extension easier in the future. Easy with a professional

Last summer we purchased the freehold with the professional help from Jeffrey Shaw. Takes the stress out of it but Coopen may ask for a larger some that you estimate. Jeffrey provided options and we made the decision what route to take. This will make our extension easier in the future. Easy with a professional

1 How much did it cost to buy the freehold ?

2 and how many years were remaining on the lease ?

3. How long did all the process take?

Reason I’m asking is because I have just pulled out of buying a property which was lease hold and coppen estates were the lease holders. I have been waiting over 3 months for a price for the free hold from coppen estates but no luck.

Thanks Mandn - I'm speaking to Jeffery Shaw tomorrow. I know every case is different but how long did it take? Someone else has also asked this question. I had no idea it was going to be such a nightmare.

1 How much did it cost to buy the freehold ?

2 and how many years were remaining on the lease ?

3. How long did all the process take?

Reason I’m asking is because I have just pulled out of buying a property which was lease hold and coppen estates were the lease holders. I have been waiting over 3 months for a price for the free hold from coppen estates but no luck.

There are some rough calculations online to get an idea of the cost, companies like Coppen know the cost for the full legal process so often make their offer at just under that amount.

You then have the option of going the legal route or paying them - it's not mega expensive like you hear about in the news though.

Coppen transactions do take quite a long time, but much of this is the need to negotiate the price- more tricky when the lease has an unexpired term < 80yrs.

---------- Post added 11-04-2018 at 16:04 ----------

I have just pulled out of buying a property which was lease hold and coppen estates were the lease holders**. I have been waiting over 3 months for a price for the free hold from coppen estates but no luck.

1. ** = No. If the property was leasehold, then Coppen must have been the reversioner (probably freehold).

2. Asking Coppen for a sale price is the wrong way to proceed. It often does not reply at all to informal approaches, whether letter or telephone- only to a Notice of Claim.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw