Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Seen as it may be my 'interpretations' that gave so much confusion and amusement I thought I'd have my say

I got narked at being asked to pay a £45 insurance approval charge because there is nothing - and I've had this legally confirmed - nothing in my lease which mandates such a charge.

Coppen had as much authority to ask for the money as someone in the street coming up to me and asking for £45.

Likewise alterations to the property, or fees to register title and mortgage.

It's one thing to charge ground rent, it's quite another to start making up fees.

Call me old fashioned but I don't just go round giving people money just because they ask for it.

Seen as you're in the habit though, can I have £100?

Edited by iwbsheff

Seen as it may be my 'interpretations' that gave so much confusion and amusement I thought I'd have my say

I got narked at being asked to pay a £45 insurance approval charge because there is nothing - and I've had this legally confirmed - nothing in my lease which mandates such a charge.

Coppen had as much authority to ask for the money as someone in the street coming up to me and asking for £45.

It's one thing to charge ground rent, it's quite another to start making up fees.

Call me old fashioned but I don't just go round giving people money just because they ask for it.

it wasnt aimed at you so dont be touchy it was a general comment, i think you will also find that each lease if different has different clauses, mine says they can charge a fee for admin. same with alterations there is a clause in mine that again says an admin fee, so i would alsways check leases very carefully or get someone who understands all the olde worlde jargon:love: so no you cant have £100 but i will write you up an agreement if you like?:love:

True. Also see the Theft Act 1968 and Fraud Act 2006 re obtaining/demanding money by misrepresentation.

oh give over, yes you can change the insurance and issue a notice of cover without paying the admin fee but is it really worth the hassle when you come to sell for the sake of £45??? i think its worth it for a smooth transaction,maybe thats why others have problems?? Predatory and duplicitous are a bit strong words for this eh? people only buy freeholds to make money! whats the problem?

You got scammed and somehow you think that's a legitimate business and everyone else is just tight.

or is it sheffield people dont like paying??

Does anyone like paying when they don't have to. I don't.

How about I invoice you for stuff, I dunno, walking on the pavement, £45/year admin charge for me to issue you with a notice of official permission. Will you like paying that?

You got scammed and somehow you think that's a legitimate business and everyone else is just tight.

Does anyone like paying when they don't have to. I don't.

How about I invoice you for stuff, I dunno, walking on the pavement, £45/year admin charge for me to issue you with a notice of official permission. Will you like paying that?

i havent been scammed havent paid a penny yet which is why i asked here, i havent even completed the purchase, its just the first one involving Coppen estates, i buy and sell properties for a living just not come across these before:roll:

Can any one help please?

I'm in the process of buying a house that Coppen Estates are the Freeholder of. I plan to carry out a loft conversion and make improvements for the house in the kitchen and bathroom. So I've asked my conveyancing solicitor to contact Coppen Estates and enquire about buying the Freehold off them as I know that any works carried out can constitute as a breach of the lease.

So far (after 3 months) my solicitor has not received a response and having read some of the comments on here, it doesn't look like they are going to get one.

So I'm basically looking for some advise regarding the works I need to carry out and whether or not I could do them before buying the Lease after 2 years.

Should I just seek consent from them to the works in the short term and buy it after 2 years?

Or should I just get consent for the works and just leave it in place as it's a very long Lease and the ground rent is minimal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Gavbo26

Can any one help please?

I'm in the process of buying a house that Coppen Estates are the Freeholder of. I plan to carry out a loft conversion and make improvements for the house in the kitchen and bathroom. So I've asked my conveyancing solicitor to contact Coppen Estates and enquire about buying the Freehold off them as I know that any works carried out can constitute as a breach of the lease.

So far (after 3 months) my solicitor has not received a response and having read some of the comments on here, it doesn't look like they are going to get one.

So I'm basically looking for some advise regarding the works I need to carry out and whether or not I could do them before buying the Lease after 2 years.

Should I just seek consent from them to the works in the short term and buy it after 2 years?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

i have found them very easy and helpful to deal with just give them a call.

i doubt they will sell the lease until 2 years is up and it depends on whats left on it, i have just bought a leasehold with 700 odd years on it to do up and sell, all i had to do for the structural alterations was seek the permission by letter and an admin charge of £45 and send a building regs cert.

ignore the ones on here that slag off freeholder owners.

i have found them very easy and helpful to deal with just give them a call.

i doubt they will sell the lease until 2 years is up and it depends on whats left on it, i have just bought a leasehold with 700 odd years on it to do up and sell, all i had to do for the structural alterations was seek the permission by letter and an admin charge of £45 and send a building regs cert.

ignore the ones on here that slag off freeholder owners.

That sounds promising. I was a bit weary of putting the Freeholder on notice as I've heard some horrendous stories, but from what you say they seem reasonable.

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Don't start any work until you've got all the paperwork sorted.

Don't start any work until you've got all the paperwork sorted.

why? unless its a huge development but for basics such as knocking a wall out or small extension or changing interior configuration, they cant unreasonably refuse and why would they? obviously you need planning for some stuff first and building control cert once done.

why? unless its a huge development but for basics such as knocking a wall out or small extension or changing interior configuration, they cant unreasonably refuse and why would they? obviously you need planning for some stuff first and building control cert once done.

I'm planning on doing a loft conversion, with hip to gable and knocking through dining room wall to create dining kitchen. So I don't think I will need planning permission, just as long as everything complies with building regs and I get a surveyor etc regarding an RSJ for the supporting wall.

I'm just concerned as I've had my fingers burnt before, through no fault of my own, on a Leasehold property where some work was carried out previous to me purchasing and it didn't have the freeholders permission. It caused me no end of problems when I came to sell it as the freehold management company were total ar5eholes. (it was only a boarded out loft and velux window)

If I can just get consent for the work I'd be relatively happy, but from previous experience I would just really like to buy the freehold and get it out of the way!

why? unless its a huge development but for basics such as knocking a wall out or small extension or changing interior configuration, they cant unreasonably refuse and why would they?

I'd not recommend starting work unless and until the leaseholder has:

a. freeholder reversioner's consent; or

b. completed purchase of the freehold reversion.

Rushing ahead can be a very costly error if it constitutes a breach of the leasehold's covenants. What will you tell your (eventual) purchaser, for a start?