Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Hi. On an entirely different note, I have been trying to contact Coppen Estates for two reasons, one, because we would like to make enquiries about building a car port on the side of our house, but also to enquire about purchasing the Freehold of our property, when I wrote to them, my letters were ignored, I tried to phone many times and always got an engaged tone, with the exception of one time, whereby I was told that Freehold enquires and suchlike, were adressed in May each year (this was early February). It is now the end of May and I still haven't heard back from them. Can anyone advise where to go from here please? Thanks:confused:

Hi. On an entirely different note, I have been trying to contact Coppen Estates for two reasons, one, because we would like to make enquiries about building a car port on the side of our house, but also to enquire about purchasing the Freehold of our property, when I wrote to them, my letters were ignored, I tried to phone many times and always got an engaged tone, with the exception of one time, whereby I was told that Freehold enquires and suchlike, were adressed in May each year (this was early February). It is now the end of May and I still haven't heard back from them. Can anyone advise where to go from here please? Thanks:confused:

Again, I should tread carefully and say that forum responses are no substitute for proper legal advice but if I can share the benefit of my experience.

Coppen are a bloomin' nightmare with correspondence because they're not obliged to reply, although I'm amazed that as soon as you mentioned the car port they didn't start hassling you for money.

I can't really vouch for the the alterations thing as such a clause doesn't appear in our lease (doesn't stop Coppen printing threats of charges on their invoices). Check yours carefully, it may be worth your while.

As for buying the freehold, Coppen aren't legally obliged to reply to a polite letter asking how much it would be, so they won't reply. You have to issue a 'notice of claim' - which is a legal document that they have to reply to. Although beware - once you issue this claim, you're on the hook for their 'reasonable legal and admin costs' (although you don't have to go through with the purchase if it doesn't suit).

There are various rule of thumb for calculating how much the freehold is worth. Ground rent x 25 is a start, although bear in mind Coppen won't follow this formula. It's a negotiation.

Plenty of useful information in this thread if you read from the start. A few people have asked about the alterations things on other threads too. A search along the lines of 'freehold' should bring up some results.

I'm not sure you'd buy next door's at the same time as yours, that would be slightly odd.

but yes wait a couple of years, then contact Jeffrey and have him sort you out.

Don't mess around trying to negotiate with Coppen, they're only in it to try and rip you off.

The lease covers both houses. The land was leased to build two houses, so I'm guessing that the freehold reversion will cover both houses. I've got all of the paperwork going back to the initial lease documents. Hence my question, will it split 50/50, or do I get to be my neighbour's evil landlord.

That is abit odd?

I wonder if the pair of you could buy the lease** and split the costs?

(Speak to Jeffrey obviously)

Coppen will not sell to any person other than a leaseholder of two years' standing, nor will it include the other house's freehold reversion in your own purchase. But, yes: where a lease demises two houses, both houses' leaseholders can enfranchise at the same time (albeit independently) and they could reduce legal fees by instructing the same solicitor to act for each of them.

** er, make that 'buy the freehold reversion'.

---------- Post added 30-05-2017 at 16:27 ----------

Hi. On an entirely different note, I have been trying to contact Coppen Estates for two reasons, one, because we would like to make enquiries about building a car port on the side of our house, but also to enquire about purchasing the Freehold of our property, when I wrote to them, my letters were ignored, I tried to phone many times and always got an engaged tone, with the exception of one time, whereby I was told that Freehold enquires and suchlike, were adressed in May each year (this was early February). It is now the end of May and I still haven't heard back from them. Can anyone advise where to go from here please?

Your solicitor.

Coppen very rarely replies to anything unless there's a legal obligation (e.g. to serve a Counter-Notice, acknowledging one's right to purchase the freehold reversion).

its quite interesting reading this thread re Coppen estates ltd, its amazing the different interpretations people get about a business.

i am about to exchange contracts to purchase one of their freehold properties and have called them 2 or 3 times to enquire about things like insurance waiver, permission to remove an internal wall etc and have nothing but help and clear instructions what to do.

Basically an admin fee of £45 each time with a covering letter or notice to comply with the lease.

i dont see the problem your buying a leasehold thats how the freeholders make money or is it sheffield people dont like paying??

maybe i will change my mind after purchase i hope not?

So they've ripped you off and you've paid.

Are they over charging you to buy the lease as well?

So they've ripped you off and you've paid.

Are they over charging you to buy the lease as well?

why are they ripping me off??? its £90 a business expense? i am not buying the lease whats the point? 736 years left, if the new buyers want to buy it i doubt it will be that much after 2 years, ground rent is £3?

From what I've understood there is no legal right for them to charge you such an admin fee. So that sounds like both a rip off and a scam.

From what I've understood there is no legal right for them to charge you such an admin fee. So that sounds like both a rip off and a scam.

far easier to pay than chase about and make sure the letter of the lease is complied with fully, mistakes and breaching a lease could be costly.

Jeffrey has shared the details several times about how to notify them you're using a different insurance company, it doesn't involve you paying anything.

They send you an invoice for something you don't owe or have to pay, that's ripping you off and a scam.

It's not "different interpretations" is it, they're predatory and duplicitous.

Jeffrey has shared the details several times about how to notify them you're using a different insurance company, it doesn't involve you paying anything.

They send you an invoice for something you don't owe or have to pay, that's ripping you off and a scam.

It's not "different interpretations" is it, they're predatory and duplicitous.

oh give over, yes you can change the insurance and issue a notice of cover without paying the admin fee but is it really worth the hassle when you come to sell for the sake of £45??? i think its worth it for a smooth transaction,maybe thats why others have problems?? Predatory and duplicitous are a bit strong words for this eh? people only buy freeholds to make money! whats the problem?

I don't see how it would be a hassle when you come to sell, having followed the letter of the law (and kept copies for your own record) it's fairly cut and dry.

Pay the fee if you want, it's no skin of anyone's nose except your own, but don't have a go at people who are only trying to help you from getting mugged off.

I don't see how it would be a hassle when you come to sell, having followed the letter of the law (and kept copies for your own record) it's fairly cut and dry.

Pay the fee if you want, it's no skin of anyone's nose except your own, but don't have a go at people who are only trying to help you from getting mugged off.

it will be a hassle if you haven't followed it strictly to the letter and the freeholders decides to slow time the transaction and even goes back ?

all i am saying for the sake of saving £45 isnt it better to avoid the aggro t a later date? and by the way i wasnt having a go at anyone.