Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Did you serve a Notice of Claim?

Yes. We did. But even that didn't stir them into life. The period passed with it ignored and my solicitor went for a final push before the next legal step as he was surprised they had not responded. This eventually lead to receiving a price.

COPPEN ESTATES ARE THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH!! My house has been up for sale for 5 years and finally i found a buyer - until we need info from Coppen Estates, after waiting and chasing them for 4 months the buyer got sick of it and pulled out and i lost the sale due to their incompetence!!

I have found another buyer and we were due to complete this week but yet again we are waiting on Coppen Estates with the last bit of information we require! Its an absolute joke!! We have had to send the paperwork to them 3 times now and still no reply, when we finally get through to them they have no idea!! If anyone can give point me in the right direction of some legal advice against them it would be very much appreciated!!

Im at my wits end!! All i want to do is get rid of my house and these jokers are making it impossible!!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 11:51 ----------

Although you might consider Coppen "a pain", the Company is reputable/honest/local- a novelty when one considers certain freehold reversion investors (London-based). The worst that one might say of Coppen is that it takes a while to reply to correspondence, but at least it's trustworthy and so are the family who run it (Shaun Pennington). No, I don't act for them!

I beg to differ!!

My house has been up for sale for 5 years and finally i found a buyer - until we need info from Coppen Estates, after waiting and chasing them for 4 months the buyer got sick of it and pulled out and i lost the sale due to their incompetence!!

I have found another buyer and we were due to complete this week but yet again we are waiting on Coppen Estates with the last bit of information we require! Its an absolute joke!! We have had to send the paperwork to them 3 times now and still no reply, when we finally get through to them they have no idea!! If anyone can give point me in the right direction of some legal advice against them it would be very much appreciated!

You do not explain what 'paperwork' you mean. Unless you do, no-one can tell if your grumble is well-founded; so tell us more.

OK. My first buyer required a quote from Coppen Estates. They simply wanted to know how much it would be to buy the lease or extend it. 6 months later after several calls, letters and letters of complaint im still waiting!

So of course my grumble is well founded! I lost a sale on my house because of them! If it takes over 6 months to produce a piece of paper stating information which they should have to hand then appologise for the rant!

I am now waiting for Coppen to simply complete a form from the solicitors advising how much the ground rent is and that it it all upto date before the sale can proceed. Again still waiting on this which was sent before Christmas! And again in January!!

Am i wrong to be upset by this?

OK.

I am now waiting for Coppen to simply complete a form from the solicitors advising how much the ground rent is and that it it all upto date before the sale can proceed. Again still waiting on this which was sent before Christmas! And again in January!!

Isn't the ground rent the same each year, and you already have proof that it's up-to-date?

Yes the ground rent is upto date and the solicitors have a copy of the statement. They just require confirmation from them along with a couple of questions/cost on transfer of the deeds etc. Frustrating!

It's strange because I have a friend who owns a bungalow at Westfield and properties around there appear to be sold without problems.

In an earlier post I said that cost of extending the lease was £250, well that needs amending as I've found that was just the solicitors fees, the actual cost was much more than that.

OK. My first buyer required a quote from Coppen Estates. They simply wanted to know how much it would be to buy the lease or extend it. 6 months later after several calls, letters and letters of complaint im still waiting!

So of course my grumble is well founded! I lost a sale on my house because of them! If it takes over 6 months to produce a piece of paper stating information which they should have to hand then appologise for the rant!

Yes. you see, Coppen has no obligation to reply to how much it would be to buy the lease or extend it.

Plus: you meant "...to buy the freehold reversion or extend the lease"; you do already own the lease!

What your solicitors should have done is to serve Notice of Claim, forcing the freehold reversioner to respond.

Please can you give me an idea as to the approximate cost to the client for a Solicitor to serve Notice of Claim.

Thank You

Yes. you see, Coppen has no obligation to reply to how much it would be to buy the lease or extend it.

Plus: you meant "...to buy the freehold reversion or extend the lease"; you do already own the lease!

What your solicitors should have done is to serve Notice of Claim, forcing the freehold reversioner to respond.

So why on earth would Coppen not tell me this from the start? Surely my first port of call as where to extend or buy the lease would be the people who i pay my ground rent to?

My experience with Coppen has been one of total disappointment and frustration and hope no else has to endure the same issues i have had with them. You only need to do a bit of internet research to see im not the only person who has had a bad experience with them!

Because Coppen is:

a. honest and trustworthy, compared to many freehold reversion investors; but

b. not good at dealing with all correspondence- hence serving Notice is the way to go.

Yes, the freehold reversioner is the right place to contact- but doing it formally works better than informally!

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 12:27 ----------

Please can you give me an idea as to the approximate cost to the client for a Solicitor to serve Notice of Claim.

I'd be charging £250 to cover cost of:

a. new client file;

b. diagnostic work (checking who owns what); and

c. preparing/serving the Notice.

Including VAT and disbursements (out-of-pocket expenses), it would come to about £320.

Although you might consider Coppen "a pain", the Company is reputable/honest/local- a novelty when one considers certain freehold reversion investors (London-based). The worst that one might say of Coppen is that it takes a while to reply to correspondence, but at least it's trustworthy and so are the family who run it (Shaun Pennington). No, I don't act for them!

Myself and my partner are currently in the process of buying a leasehold property which we have been informed that Coppen Estates Ltd are the freeholders. We have been waiting for nearly 4 months now due to Coppen Estates Ltd not providing proof that the ground rent payments are up to date which the estate agents and solicitors have told us this is necessary for our purchase to proceed. Even though the ground rent payments are up to date and the vendor can prove this we still have to wait for confirmation of this from Coppen Estates Ltd and I am not sure what else we can do to move this forward. The solicitors and estate agents have been contacting them daily which Coppen Estates Ltd keep promising different time frames of when they will provide this by however they never keep there promises and we still continue to wait.

My opinion of them from this is already low and this is before we have had any dealings with them after buying the house. This is starting to put doubts into our minds of whether to actually go through with this purchase after waiting so long.