Frechville/Silkstone Rd - Vic Hallem houses

Born and grew up in Sheffield, went to Woodhouse West Primary (no longer there) and then High Green Comp (then it closed down) then to Stocksbrige comp feofre moving down to Devon in 1995.

A chap came into my shop today from sheffield and we got chatting about Woodhouse and where I used to Live. Top bloke! I left when I was 12 so lots of memories but some Hazy - he showed me where I used to Live (Wickfield Place) (my earliest memories) and Sadly where Woodhouse West School used to be (where the walls of the boiler house were shiny from years of warmed-bums in the winter!!)

I was amazed to see that most of the Vic Hallam houses on our old estate have been knocked down! But it means I've totally lost my bearings!! ha ha We live at 32 Wickfield place, I think this is where Ive drawn it?! I remember the path going down through the trees into the old park but I'm pretty sure there was an old climbing frame up a little path at the top of the hill?!!

I also remember there being a little shop clad in wood we called "the hut" but I can't place it on the picture!!

Wickfieldplace.png

If anyone can fill in the blanks of my memory I would appreciate it!

I assume that the estate is totally gone now? Which is sad :(

Lee Wardle

Edited by litwardle

Hi Lee.Yes most of the estate has now gone with just the houses woodhouse side of dyke vale road that are just waiting to move.The top side of wickfield rd has now new houses.The little hut was re-devlolped some yrs ago and is now brick build and called the cabin.( it will always be the hut though locally).Not sure what happened to the little park though? Dont think its there?.The jack in a box pub is still standing by the way:)

I remember the park well as I walked in front of my older sister on the swing when I was a toddler and knock myself out! Blood everywhere too! I remember I wasn't allowed up to the little climbing frame thing....

Born and grew up in Sheffield, went to Woodhouse West Primary (no longer there) and then High Green Comp (then it closed down) then to Stocksbrige comp feofre moving down to Devon in 1995.

A chap came into my shop today from sheffield and we got chatting about Woodhouse and where I used to Live. Top bloke! I left when I was 12 so lots of memories but some Hazy - he showed me where I used to Live (Wickfield Place) (my earliest memories) and Sadly where Woodhouse West School used to be (where the walls of the boiler house were shiny from years of warmed-bums in the winter!!)

I was amazed to see that most of the Vic Hallam houses on our old estate have been knocked down! But it means I've totally lost my bearings!! ha ha We live at 32 Wickfield place, I think this is where Ive drawn it?! I remember the path going down through the trees into the old park but I'm pretty sure there was an old climbing frame up a little path at the top of the hill?!!

I also remember there being a little shop clad in wood we called "the hut" but I can't place it on the picture!!

Wickfieldplace.png

If anyone can fill in the blanks of my memory I would appreciate it!

I assume that the estate is totally gone now? Which is sad :(

Lee Wardle

good job they knocked it down tbh, it was a crap hole unfortunately