Atheists under attack

<<Holds up white flag, briefly>>

Hey Janie, didn't you already reply to this? I'm sure I saw a response having a go at me for referring to other threads. If so, do you have any idea why it disappeared - I certainly didn't report it?

A supernatural visitation may have had something to do with that unexplained occurrence.

:hihi:

A supernatural visitation may have had something to do with that unexplained occurrence.

:hihi:

Whatever.

I'll assume you reported it yourself because you were embarrassed by it, then.

Shame about the follow up.

Whatever.

I'll assume you reported it yourself because you were embarrassed by it, then.

Shame about the follow up.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,

the foresight to know where you are going,

and the insight to know when you have gone too far"

It has infuriated me today that a young boy has been refused from joining the scouts because he is athiest.Now all his mates are going camping without him.As a child this would have been a severe punishment for me as my single parent dad couldnt afford holidays and camping with the scouts were my only breaks which were fantastic. Also my son who is 5 has school dinners where there is a coloured band system for them to choose either vegatarian halal and non halal.Because sometimes he didnt like the non halal meal i would put him the band on for the halal meal which he liked.My child is white and at the moment doesnt have a religion and hopefully never does but thats his decision to make. This went on for mths and surprisingly he often returned home hungry saying i had chosen him the wrong food.One day i took him and his moslym friend to school who saw what coloured band i had put him on and he allerted me to the fact that the teacher would only take it off as he wasnt allowed halal because he wasnt of the moslym faith.This his teacher comfirmed so i set off straight to the office to find out why my son was being discriminated against.They said i had to fill a consent form in and phone the sheffield council to have it okayed.This they did but was this necessary i ask !

:(

This is revolting! Leaving a child with no food :mad:

We eventually stopped our 12 year old going to Guides because of things like this. The kids were given sweets if they attended the Church Parades etc but singled out and humiliated if they didn't. They were asked if they had been baptised and the ones that hadn't were basically told they were going to hell...stuff 'em!!

The Scout Association is now launching a consultation amongst its members to consider an alternative oath(s).

Not a bad move.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20584208

Yes, good for them.

Pleased to see that you acknowledge that after your earlier comments. I always applaud people that change their opinion on something.

It looks rather like they have been forced into a humiliating about face by public pressure.

I emailed the Scouts about this, and have an email from the: "P & D Adviser (Diversity and Inclusion), The Scout Association" dated only 40 or so days ago, in which I was told that the organisation has no plans to change the promise.

Interesting article by Derek Twine, the chief executive of the Scout Association, in today's Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9719079/Time-for-a-Promise-that-atheists-can-keep.html

Time for a Promise that atheists can keep

Letting non-believers into the Scouts keeps faith with the values set out by Baden-Powell

No other group aside from non-believers is excluded from the Scouts on the grounds of religion or belief. We already welcome those with no faith as associate members and into a variety of support roles. But what we are looking at now is whether there might be a way of extending full membership to more people. We believe that there are many people in this situation in the UK who could otherwise support Scouting’s fundamental values, which explicitly include helping young people in their exploration of faiths, beliefs and attitudes, and our method, which includes sharing in spiritual reflection.

What’s the point of making some people feel hypocritical or dishonest if they take a Promise with which they fundamentally disagree? Earlier this year we were proud to announce Scout clothing that was appropriate for Muslim young women to wear when Scouting. It was a reflection of our founding principle to move with the times, and it’s been welcomed by all.

I wonder if cgksheff now agrees with Derek Twine when he wrote "What’s the point of making some people feel hypocritical or dishonest if they take a Promise with which they fundamentally disagree?"

Good on the Scouts and Guides, shows they are moving with the times.