Next to Barretta Street, Page Hall??

I used to live on Owler Lane back in the late 60's. there was a street from Owler Lane to Rushby Street but can't remember it's name. The next one down was Barretta St where I had 2 mates. John Trow and John Thorne. Waht was it's name!

could it be Bagley road ?

This is what multimap currently shows, for Bagley Road.

Mind you, that area went through some changes a couple of decades ago, didn't it.

I seem to remember reading on here that there was supposed to be a flyover of sorts down there, connecting up the outer ring road, hence the houses where the medical centre now stands were demolished. See these posts for more info.

Looks as if the OP isn't too bothered anyway Abdul !

Why do people do this I wonder ?

:confused:

As you travel down from the Northen general and Fir Vale, Bagley Road is on your right on teh corner and directly opposite is Selby Road which comes down from Firth Park Road and there is also the dead end bottom bit of Hinde House Lane at that junction.

Selby Road and Hinde House Lane are the ones that are on the same side of the road as Baretta Street which runs from Owler Lane and goes across Page Hall Road to Popple Street at the back.

Sorry deecee - didn't realise you were the self appointed time monitor for replies.:rolleyes: My apologies but this "OP" does have to go to work and share the computer with a family. I will try and remember next time! Anyhow, thanks for info from you all.

Thanks tazman and abdul. I've studied the map but it doesn't actually still show Baretta St. If you look to the right of Bagley/Selby, there is an unmaked road from Owler lane to Rushby St - I think that's the one I mean. A little bit further down from the unmarked road, again joining Owler Lane and Rushby St was Baretta St. As you say, I bet a lot of demolition has gone on since I was last there in the late 60's early 70's. Appreciate your help.

The street you are looking for is Heathcote Street.

I used Google maps, typed in Rushby Street and zoomed in.

I used to live on Grimesthorpe Road.

Reading this thread bring back memories... I lived on Earl Marshal Road through the 60's, 70's and early 80's (and go back every so often as my parents still live there). I walked through Owler Lane frequently as it was the main route to the shops (e.g. Page Hall, Firvale or for the bus stops to town - ah, the no 75/76 bus :) ). I vagely recall a sort of hardware type shop at the end of Heathcote Street nearer to Rushby Street? Also recall a chip shop on Owler Lane between Heathcote Street and x-roads of Bagley, Selby and Owler Lane (one of my school mates from Grimesthorpe/Whiteways owned the shop in 70s). Also I remember there being a pet shop on the corner of Bagley and Owler Lane, a sweetshop on the other side of Bagley Road, and the Bakery at the botton of Hinde House Lane/Selby Road. Any one else remember them?

Btw, is that off licence still there on Page Hall Road between Barretta Street and the Firth Park Hotel?

I vaguely remember the pet shop, back in the 1980s, but it's not a pet shop anymore.

The bakery still exists, as does the Off licence