Working 'in hand'. A question??

Hi all,

Quick question. I currently work for a company that pays our wages weekly but two weeks in arrears. I'm mulling over job offer from another company, but what I'm wondering is if I were to quit my current job, to my way of thinking, I should get my last pay 'packet' from them two weeks after my last working day, plus any holidays I have accrued.

Does that sound about right?

Yes. That sounds about right.

The simple answer is that it depends.

They could pay you in advance if your leaving date is known and will be just after a payroll run, they could pay you as a one off on the day you finish (which would include the 2 week arrears that you've worked at that point and holiday) or they could wait until the next normal payroll run and pay you then.

It really depends on how automated the payroll system is and what procedures and policies they have in place for people leaving.

The simple answer is that it depends.

They could pay you in advance if your leaving date is known and will be just after a payroll run, they could pay you as a one off on the day you finish (which would include the 2 week arrears that you've worked at that point and holiday) or they could wait until the next normal payroll run and pay you then.

It really depends on how automated the payroll system is and what procedures and policies they have in place for people leaving.

I think our payroll is actually run by a chimp with a screwdriver, so the automation process is likely to be a bit of a gamble :)

However, as long as my pay is something around the amount I outlined in my first post, it should be fine.

It depends some of our staff worked two weeks but only recieved one weeks pay. When they quit they will receive an additional weeks pay in their final pay packet.They won't recieve it a week later,usually because on the final pay packet your P45 is produced.

I think our payroll is actually run by a chimp with a screwdriver, so the automation process is likely to be a bit of a gamble :)

However, as long as my pay is something around the amount I outlined in my first post, it should be fine.

You won't lose the money, one way or the other they will pay you up until the day you leave plus holiday pay accrued (unless they are dodgy).