Silver Blades Ice rink

i went in the 80s, cant remember exactly

i remmeber there was loads of what must be regulars (ie:- could skate)

the only person i could vaguely rememeber was a black guy that was excellent, no idea who he was, mustve hung around there

i spent most of my time in the arcade bit :P

We use to go,late 60s,my brother was one of the resident "speed skaters" most people knew him by his "nick name",Jap. I loved it,we had some great nights........

Hi there

Seem to remember going down to see Edison Lighthouse and waiting for ages for them to come on stage.

After what seemed like hours it was announced that the lead singer had not arrived but the rest would perform anyway.

Result of this some under-age drinking and 2 pints in the upstairs bar.

Boco

Anyone go to the penny nights where each time you went. Your card was punched and when your card was full. you were allowed free enterence into another normal evening free.:clap:

I started going there in about 1968, went for lessons every saturday morning, before the rink opened to the public in the morning. they were the group lessons, you progressed through each step and got a certificate, then could go on to the dancing, waltz, foxtrot etc, I still have the certificates even though it was all those years ago.

Used to like the music, there used to be a DJ sometimes,

Sometime during the sat morning session, the music would change and the dancers would go round, then everyone back on the rink again, dont know if anyone remembers that, I was about 11 years old, went for a few years.

Those skates they hired out were awful, I had some of my own for my birthday.

Originally posted by donnamon

does anyone remember a dutch or german guy at the blades i think he was a coach , he was very good looking, i had a crush on him

South african - Raif Caldicott

does anyone remember when the speed skaters had a couple of trips to newcastle. is it really forty years ago.

Yes that was also on the inter rink circuit in the comps also

Did Raif Caldicott have a wife that also taught skating

Yes forgot what they called her,she had fair hair, thin and wore glasses

I worked at Silver Blades 67-70 with Ron Davies and Ringo on maintenance.Remember Irene Munks, a coach, I think it was 7/6d for 20 mins tuition on the ice.Dave Crook,a scouser, was DJ.

Ron Blanchard used to drive the Zamboni round the ice after every session.

Good times.

Originally posted by vanjon

I worked at Silver Blades 67-70 with Ron Davies and Ringo on maintenance.Remember Irene Munks, a coach, I think it was 7/6d for 20 mins tuition on the ice.Dave Crook,a scouser, was DJ.

Ron Blanchard used to drive the Zamboni round the ice after every session.

Good times.

Yes I remember Irene Munks blonde hair. Many stories about Dave Crook(s) after he left.