Silver Blades Ice rink

wow I used to go every monday night with my friend Donna Burkin wonder where she is now???

You are never too old to learn to skate. We go to the adult classes on a Monday night at Ice Sheffield and its now more like a social group and we have a real good laugh. Awh the Glitter Band and all those Glam rock groups of the 70's and the classic soul music you cant beat it for recapturing your youth eh?:hihi:

two metal knees and a replacement hip yes im to knackered to skate lol

did anyone out there go to the silver blades ice rink in Sheffield in the late 70's. if so can you recall the name of the instrumental track they used to play when the "speed freaks, nutters and show offs" used to take to the ice just after clearing the likes of me off the ice. I would so much like to find out what it is called, just so I can ease my mind lol. Thank you in advance for racking your brains and making an effort. Tomo

I have a tune going round and round in my head for about 5 days now and it's happened loads in the past too. It might be the same tune you are looking for. I went to the Silver Blades from 1968 to around 1972 and remember them playing an instrumental tune ( probably Harmonica with WahWah ) or could be organ. There was no singing in it. Right catchy with a fast rythm ( mod-ish). They played it and played it so someone must know it ... PLEASE . It's driving me nuts. I tried humming it to my wife as she was a skater too so she should remember it but all that happens is 'I make her laugh' because it sounds nothing like . I am old fat and bald now and the old voice isnt what it was . Anyway , I slowed down on the skating when I got into all the Lambretta's parked outside . Still have one even now. We had our wedding reception in Samantha's , above the Rink. Boxing day . anyway thats another story ....... .... NAME THAT TUNE ?

I use to go to the Silver Blades Ice Rink in the 70's.

Those boots they use to lend you ( black and white things ) terrible - use to go home with blisters on my ankles.

Would go in the cafeteria for a plate of chips and tomato sauce.

Once whilst I was there, saw a bad accident.....someone fell on the ice and another skater went over the person hand and took a finger off with the blades of his skate.

Four songs I remember from Silver Blades:

Soul Finger

I hear you knocking ( Dave Edmunds )

In the Summertime ( Mungo Jerry )

Love Grows ( Edison Lighthouse )

Thing the tune you're looking for was....

B Bumble & the Stingers ... Nutrocker:)

Thing the tune you're looking for was....

B Bumble & the Stingers ... Nutrocker:)

Cheers for the suggestion.

Nope. Not that one . Wish it was , it's still going round in my head.

Does anyone remember someone who used to go to the skates in the late 70's called John Lee ? He had short blonde hair, was tall and also used to speed skate ? He lived on either Parson Cross or Shirecliffe and had a younger brother too. He bought me a Showaddywaddy LP for christmas and we ended up dating for a short while. :love:

Hi Deedah,Could it be......,

Regards acman.

Edited by acman
add link

i used to skate there in 1974 ish and i remember the tune being the theme to hawaii 5 o, also the abba waterloos was played often along with sugar baby love by the rubbettes :)

GF x

Hi Deedah,Could it be......

Regards acman.

Thanks mate, Its appreciated.... Im'e even waking up with it now. first thing ! It used to be 5£x on my brain , now its this bloody tune. Im'e starting to think it's not an instrumental but some song with an instrumental part within. I'll take a look at your link and let you know. cheers.

I hadn't clicked 'post' for this reply so went to the link you put on . THATS THE ONE .. I would never have got it. Ive been on Yutube looking for at least 5 hours a day for the last week ! Ive been searching through all my Northern Soul stuff too .... hundreds of em.

Iv'e just listened to it all the way through... its just awsome. Brings back BIG CLEAR memories.

You ACE chap. THANK YOU Thank YOU .... :)

i used to skate there in 1974 ish and i remember the tune being the theme to hawaii 5 o, also the abba waterloos was played often along with sugar baby love by the rubbettes :)

GF x

the tune i was looking for was posted by ACMAN ( see his link ) Mr Bloe - Groovin` With Mr.Bloe