Silver Blades Ice rink

I was a regular at silver blades and as I recall there were two tunes, one for the speed skate and another straight after for the figure of eight (remember that ) however I think you will find one is the "Post Horn Gallop" and the other was "The Saber Dance " but I am not sure which was which. Think Im right but won`t put money on it

....never heard either during the 70's - so must have beeen earlier !?

I was a regular at silver blades and as I recall there were two tunes, one for the speed skate and another straight after for the figure of eight (remember that ) however I think you will find one is the "Post Horn Gallop" and the other was "The Saber Dance " but I am not sure which was which. Think Im right but won`t put money on it

If I remember correctly, they also used to play Paranoid by Black Sabbath for the speed skate and also as Dave Downing says The Sabre Dance, can't remember who it was by though.

I had many a happy hour at the silverblades and was also a founder player of the Ice Hockey team setup by Colin Maitland who was a Canadian working for Radio Hallem at the time. The tune we always skated to for the speedskating was the NUT ROCKER.

Check out the song link for a trip down memory lane.

I had many a happy hour at the silverblades and was also a founder player of the Ice Hockey team setup by Colin Maitland who was a Canadian working for Radio Hallem at the time. The tune we always skated to for the speedskating was the NUT ROCKER.

Check out the song link for a trip down memory lane.

...as i mentioned in Post 12 !!! ;)

I used to work in the restaurant in the evenings at the rink and do remember Michelle Marbelle playing so often in the cafe..

I used to go with my big Brother and his mates and loved it when they all did the speedskating bit, the red and green lights on the ice and Day after Day by Badfinger used to be played a lot. I think that is what it was called. It did have a certain smell to it. Staypress trousers and ben sherman shirts with crombie's were what we all wore from Harringtons in the market. Wonder when that style will be back in fashion?

I went Ice Skating in 1972 when I was sweet 16. It was a Saturday night event, and I remember all the snogging that went on behind the back of the stage and the music that holds my memory is Dizzy by Tommy Roe and Sugar Sugar by The Archies. It was absolutely great and have just recently taken it up again at Ice Sheffield. Did anyone from Silverdale '72 go, would love to get back in touch

ya remember the speedskate to hawyi 5 0 good time good girls in the 70s ma and mate from hinde house school went as ofter as we could afford wensday nights /sat/sun mornings good old day and the girls i met till 1 sunday morning all 3 turned up ha ha:loopy:

Many many great memories of nights there.

I remember the DJ giving you a name check on your birthday, hangin around at the end to see the little truck re-surface the ice (it's a boy thing!) The cafe, the smell, the pinball, the draught from the speed skaters as they "flew" past us standing behind the rail, the older lads tryin to be cool with their 10 No6

I also seem to remember the perimiter beig lit and changing colour???? but it didn't the last time I went.

Oh happy days.

Around and around and around then up to engine bar for around and around and around .

Then on saterday night staying till 2am and trying not to wake the old folk up when you got in.

Great place to pick up girls on and off the ice .:hihi::hihi:

Good chat up line can I help you around love( to them that could not skate)

The red coats telling you to get off the ice for going too fast in the public time .

YEP GREAT DAYS:D:D

(DEN)

Many many great memories of nights there.

I remember the DJ giving you a name check on your birthday, hangin around at the end to see the little truck re-surface the ice (it's a boy thing!) The cafe, the smell, the pinball, the draught from the speed skaters as they "flew" past us standing behind the rail, the older lads tryin to be cool with their 10 No6

I also seem to remember the perimiter beig lit and changing colour???? but it didn't the last time I went.

Oh happy days.

Brilliant, you have just reminded me of all these other things, the cafe, smell, draught from the speed skaters and hanging around afterwards (that was a girlie thing) I smoked No6 and I remember that Brut was the trend that both girls and boys wore along with Ben Sherman shirts and levi/wrangler jeans and jackets