Silver Blades Ice rink

I wasnt much older than 10 myself which is one reason I am struggling to remember the track lol. I do have it in my head somewhere but I just cant locate it. it had a ninety mile an hour beat to it but I just cant think what it was. thanks for reading and trying to think of it for me, Tomo

I will ask my sister I used to get cleared off the ice and her and her mates used to do the mad speed skating.:suspect:

I remember they used to play Black is black an awful lot. and I also remember having to stand still for god save the queen before the speeding started.:hihi:

They used to play Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck when i went around 78/79

Seem to recall "Speedy Gonzales"

It used to be the theme music from Hawii Five O for the speed and a really sloppy song for the pairs when we used to go.

did anyone out there go to the silver blades ice rink in Sheffield in the late 70's. if so can you recall the name of the instrumental track they used to play when the "speed freaks, nutters and show offs" used to take to the ice just after clearing the likes of me off the ice. I would so much like to find out what it is called, just so I can ease my mind lol. Thank you in advance for racking your brains and making an effort. Tomo

could be telstar

We used to bring our children from Doncaster occasionally in the 70s. We'd skated quite a bit when we were young in Scotland and were disappointed there was no ice rink in Donny. Then they built the Dome, so we stopped visiting Silver Blades.

I seem to remember 'Red River Valley' being played for the speed sessions.

Oh blimey.. used to go to the skates every sunday night with my friend who was a jehovas witness and we would meet up with a load of other witnesses who had come over from scunthorpe, going back to the mid 70s now. Yep I too remember the speed skating but was never a strong enough skater to take part. :hihi: Oh I used to love it there it had a certain smell when you walked into it dont you think? Everyone waiting round the edges of the ice for that machine they had to smooth the ice out to finish then it was just one big pile onto the ice...oh happy days...then into the cafe at the end of the session for some chips and red sauce...Oh blimey...:hihi:

did anyone out there go to the silver blades ice rink in Sheffield in the late 70's. if so can you recall the name of the instrumental track they used to play when the "speed freaks, nutters and show offs" used to take to the ice just after clearing the likes of me off the ice. I would so much like to find out what it is called, just so I can ease my mind lol. Thank you in advance for racking your brains and making an effort. Tomo

...although released in the early 60's , they seemed to play this at SB's , well into the late 70's !!!....

Pepper box - Peppers

wooly Bully - sam the sham & the Pharoes

Nut rocker - B. Bumble & the stingers

Hoots mon - lord rockinghams 11

+ a couple of Northern soul tracks i can't remember.

(mrs macbeth, i think the track was called 'red river rock' by Johnny & the hurricanes)

Edited by bluesbrother
add a bit

I have to agree with bracken and bluesbrother. I used to go there from 1967 until 1976 mainly on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The music I remember being used most often for the "speed skating" intervals in the 70's was Nut Rocker by B Bumble and the Stingers. Good memories and good friends were made there.

Edited by Sparkgap
spelling

I was a regular at silver blades and as I recall there were two tunes, one for the speed skate and another straight after for the figure of eight (remember that ) however I think you will find one is the "Post Horn Gallop" and the other was "The Saber Dance " but I am not sure which was which. Think Im right but won`t put money on it