Silver Blades Ice rink

I remember going to the Silver Blades '78 'ish. As I remember it was frowned upon if you didn't have your own skates and had to borrow theirs.

I remember going to the Silver Blades '78 'ish. As I remember it was frowned upon if you didn't have your own skates and had to borrow theirs.

Yeah it was frowned upon. You were considered really cool if you had your own hockey boots male or female! Then you would add your personal touch to them, mine had glitter pom poms and ball bearining in them so they made a racket when I tore accross the ice spraying all those who could not skate very well round the edges! Shocking I now know better but I can tell you from now going to ice sheffield things are still the same, think its like being in a time wharp lol :hihi:

I used to go about 1974/75 I can't remember what day we use to go but I think we went on Sundays occasionally. I never did learn to skate but enjoyed meeting boys : and it was a good atmosphere.I always think of the Glitter Band too.

You are never too old to learn to skate. We go to the adult classes on a Monday night at Ice Sheffield and its now more like a social group and we have a real good laugh. Awh the Glitter Band and all those Glam rock groups of the 70's and the classic soul music you cant beat it for recapturing your youth eh?:hihi:

my husband used to go quite a lot during that time he was quite good at skating and really enjoyed meeting up with his mates, oh the good old days

Does your hubby still go to the skates then Miss P?

I can remember the dodgy “half” toilet doors that were a waste of space as anyone over 5ft tall could see over them :blush: and that strange feeling when you put your normal shoes on, is there a generation of people with dodgy ankles from all that skating.

I used to go with the school mid week and also Saturday morning with the girlfriend who i later married. Happy times.

I used to go with the school mid week and also Saturday morning with the girlfriend who i later married. Happy times.

I used to go to Hurlfield school and we could go to the skates as an option in PE which we used to take better than cross country running lol. They used to make us do figure skating though on the down side but still loved it. :hihi: I wonder how many romances have begun down at the Silver Blades?

I can remember the dodgy “half” toilet doors that were a waste of space as anyone over 5ft tall could see over them :blush: and that strange feeling when you put your normal shoes on, is there a generation of people with dodgy ankles from all that skating.

My ankles are ok thankfully but its really easy to get injured on the ice! I had forgot about the toilets he-he! thanks for reminding me, today it would be a paradise island for the pervs!!:loopy:

Ha, thanks for bringing back the memories. I went to the Silver Blades most nights between 1970 and 75. Oh that music :) I remember the very short skating dresses and white boots adorned with bells. After the speed skating the ice was so slushy, sometimes with a puddle forming the whole length of the ice in front of the stage. [The stage was actually moved from one end to the middle of the back wall - remember that?]

Ha, thanks for bringing back the memories. I went to the Silver Blades most nights between 1970 and 75. Oh that music :) I remember the very short skating dresses and white boots adorned with bells. After the speed skating the ice was so slushy, sometimes with a puddle forming the whole length of the ice in front of the stage. [The stage was actually moved from one end to the middle of the back wall - remember that?]

My hubby who used to be part of the speed team down there says he can remember Eddison Lighthouse playing live on stage and the staircase was in the centre of the rink. At the top of the staircase there was a restraunt and a bar. I can remember the slushy ice and speeding up to it and spraying everybody round the edge :hihi:

Can you remember when the staircase to get in was at the Heartbeat entrance? There were pinballs in the doorway and skate shop was at the end of the rink. The music was fab tho wasnt it? Happy Days :love:

Oh yes - the old staircase and the shop was far better [in my opinion].

And - if you sped up too much to spray the audience you ended tripping onto the black rubber flooring. I was too young to go into the bar area - but I remember it well.

I'd love to have that energy now - and would probaby flap round like a duck if I went skating today , just trying to keep upright on a slippy surface with one leg in the air :)))

Oh yes - the old staircase and the shop was far better [in my opinion].

And - if you sped up too much to spray the audience you ended tripping onto the black rubber flooring. I was too young to go into the bar area - but I remember it well.

I'd love to have that energy now - and would probaby flap round like a duck if I went skating today , just trying to keep upright on a slippy surface with one leg in the air :)))

We go to Ice Sheffield these days and you still get the little chav kids and the students spraying and speeding but these days they get told off for health and safety reasons!! We do adult lessons too its more like a social club and really good fun. Maybe you should try it again for old times sake :hihi: