Just finished a book, now what?

You have to pay both Create Space and Feed a Read for further distribution so I'm not entirely sure why Feed a Read are considered vanity and Create Space are not. What I understood when signing up to Feed a Read is that if you are selling through the Feed a Read website only, there is not a fee to pay. But as I had decided to distribute further afield perhaps I misunderstood.

I can only vouch for my experience actually using Feed a Read myself. The only issue with them are the sales. You only get two updates per year. The books, the royalties and everything else I've been very happy with.

But, as always, you should do your own research.

Edited by SarahD

There are several differences between the two but the most important ones are probably that it's possible to use CS without paying anything, and one remains in full control of one's book throughout the whole production and publishing process; whereas you can't use FAR unless you pay their fee; and FAR control all aspects of production and publishing for you. You can't make any changes to your book without paying FAR to do it, whereas with CS you just have to upload your new version and it goes live within a few hours.

There are plenty of other issues involved, but that lack of control means that using FAR can't be considered self publishing because the writer doesn't do any of the publication work themselves: they pay FAR to do it all for them.

ETA: Sarah, are you on AbsoluteWrite? I think I recognise your name from there but I might be wrong.

Yes, it's me from AW. I can tell that you're Old Hack from your posts. Haha!

Well, I'm sure you know more about the definitions and such. Even if FAR are vanity I feel they've provided a decent service for me. I'm due my royalties soon, so can report back if I have any problems.

I am hopefully publishing another book soon and am considering trying Create Space in order to compare the two. The only thing is that CS don't offer as much in terms of royalties, although the fee for distribution is lower. So I'm just weighing up the pros and cons in my head at the moment.

Thanks for your clarification above.

Sarah, hello!

If you search my blog for the tag "YouWriteOn", and AW's Bewares room for the same name, you'll find a bit of background to FeedARead--they're essentially the same company but have gone through a bit of a rebranding.

As far as I can work out, you'll get more money from CS per copy sold than you'll get from FAR because they do the maths differently. It might look like more initially, but FAR works its royalties out on a somewhat nebulous net and not on a clearly defined price, so the actual monies received end up far less impressive than you think.