Big Issue Knit-a-Thon!!

I like the sound of this.

All I need is 2 needles and a ball of wool? (I have done it before but a long time ago and I cast on to continue something already started!)

I like the sound of this.

All I need is 2 needles and a ball of wool? (I have done it before but a long time ago and I cast on to continue something already started!)

Looks like just me n thee then kidder (as my dad used to say )!!

To say I'm a bit disappointed is an understatement, I see so many Knit-Natter groups, Craft groups and other Community posts on here and there's been no response at all...I'm really very, very surprised that not one of them has picked up on this, it's being promoted by loads of On-Line Knit/Yarn/Craft websites, I did really think this would be a go-er!!

Chem1st, we'll have a little session of our own, we only need to knit a few 6'' squares, I'll start you off, and stuff having it in a bijous caff with cupcakes n tea, we'll pop off to nearest Real Ale House, knitting, drinking, dropping stitches, and put the World to right :hihi:

Chem1st, we'll have a little session of our own, we only need to knit a few 6'' squares, I'll start you off, and stuff having it in a bijous caff with cupcakes n tea, we'll pop off to nearest Real Ale House, knitting, drinking, dropping stitches, and put the World to right :hihi:

Sounds good :) I'm thinking I best buy some wool and needles in preparation!

I've only just seen your post. Lots of us have knitted hats and gloves for Big Issue over the last few years, but this is a different kind of fund raiser this year. I will knit some squares.

I've just looked at the Sheffield Knitters group, Yorkshire Knitters group and the Knitting up North group on Ravelry and you haven't mentioned it there yet. At one time Big Issue in the North had their own group on Ravelry, I'm surprised they haven't advertised it.

I thought I would knit a square tonight as I've had a glass or two of wine and I'm not focusing right well. One thing that I've noticed is that the suggested possible patterns for squares are knitted with 1oz of worsted weight, which are American weights and thickness, so what I've decided to do is to use up a little DK and knit a corner to corner square making it easier to measure the required 6 inches.

What are you folks doing?

I noticed the American weights too, so I asked one of the knitting groups on Facebook that I'm a member of and they suggested an Aran weight, luckily I'd bought a cheap bundle of Aran type yarn to make a few chunky scarves for winter..so I'll be using it for my squares, I'll do a Condo stitch on big needles as it'll knit up quick. I've only had to cast on 16 stitches to make a 6 inch square. :)

Hi all. Thanks for all the interest in our Big Knitathon. The idea is that anyone can set up an event in their own town. You can have a public event where your venue and contact details are on our website which is great for knitting groups or shops wanting to join in. Or, you can have a private group without your details on our site which is great if you want to have just you and your friends or family joining in. There's no size limit so don't worry if you think they'd just be a few of you.

All the money raised is going to help some of our societies most vulnerable people so it really does make a difference.

Thanks!

Our small 'Knit and Natter' group are going to host a Big Issue knit-a-thon at Broomhill Methodist Church on Fulwood Road. It will be from 1.30pm on Saturday 17th November, and it's open to everyone. We're expecting a mix of all ages, from students to families and pensioners.

The more people the better, because we need a group of over 25 people to be present for an hour from 2pm, to be counted as part of the World Record attempt!

We'll supply wool, needles and guidance to those who need it. Tea, coffee and cake will be available for a donation towards the Big Issue Foundation. Any questions feel free to message me :)