School places shortage in Shiregreen - Beck and H&H

Hi all,

I've heard a lot about place shortages for children going into their first year of primary school in Shiregreen. Does anyone have more info about this? Has anyone had any problems?

Hi there do u mean to start school now or for next year ?? My little girl at beck nursary and they sent forms out last week to apply for place. For next year plus a got a letter thru the post yesterday saying we need to apply now I know from last year I apply for my son for beck school but there was a waiting list so I had to send him to hartley brook in till he got a place at beck but I must say am glad I change him because beck is 100% better in all ways. So the sooner u apply the better. Hope this help u

Hi, it's for pupils who were meant to start in September this year but now they haven't got a place at either school I think, I'm not really sure! It seems a really early time to apply but I guess it is important if they fill up so quickly!

My grandaughter goes to Beck school. My daughter and Grandaughter lived on Shiregreen when she started school. About 22 months ago she moved home to Wincobank (flower estate) and tried to get a place at Hinde House for her. There were no places available so for almost two years now my daughter has had to walk with my Grandaughter and Grandson, who is in a pram and not started school yet to Firth Park (about 15 minutes walk) and then get a bus from there to Beck road, drop my Grandaughter off and then return home. Then in the afternoon she has to do it all again to fetch her back home. It is costing her a small fortune in bus fares :gag:

If you are wanting a place at either school now it is worth phoning them directly. Places will become available in schools during the year as families move away from the area so you might be able to get a place now

You can ask if there are vacancies now and if there are arrange a visit so you can get a 'feel' of the school

2 of my daughters started at beck school just after the 6 weeks hols but there was no places in foundation for my 4 yr old she only got a place last week luckily i didnt have to appeal :)

I have worked with Beck many times and they are very hard working staff team.

Edited by mikeyt

I couldn't agree more mikeyt :) the school is fab it was worth the wait to get my kids in there way better than there previous school

Thanks for all your help, good to hear that Beck is such a good school! What about the new H and H academy?