The underground Firth Brown Medical Center.

Quite Right. I worked in the Photographic Department from 1964 until 1980 and it was located at the bottom of the ramp next to the sandwich shop, which was next to the Nelson Pub. At the bottom of the ramp, turning left, was the creep lab and right, the photographic department. This comprised a large studio, cine editing room, various darkrooms and print finishing rooms. At the rear of the cine editing room as a vertical ladder which emerged from a "hole" near where the chauffeurs garage was located. It was a casualty clearing place in the war but the room shown on the 28 days later site must be the one on Carlisle Street, since the Norroy place has been, to the best of my knowledge,probably filled in when the new building works above were undertaken. The place was ideal for photography as there was no daylight to interfere in the processes.

Hi Lensman, I guess I know you as I worked in the creep lab at Norroy street from 1965 until the new labs were opened.

this was brought to my attention because both my families were from Greystock st but sadly never mentioned these places perhaps they were built after 1938.the Nelson was on the corner of Norroy ST and Greystock St and opposite the pub was a little shop run by mrs Bye.sorry if this detracks from the original post.

I am sure you do; I was that handsome young whipper snapper and Jack Dalton's worst nightmare! Guess you knew Harry (?) in Creep; can't recall his surname but he lived at Wales and died of a heart attack many years ago. Walking around Norroy Street these days makes you wonder if it all happened:confused:

There was also a canteen area as well as the medical centre on Carlisle St, I attended both at times. :) They would have been air raid shelters for the works and possibly for the school that was just behind these buildings.

Edited by shaunfl

Hi Lensman, I guess you mean Harry Hardwick! I remember Jack Dalton, Peter Stevenson, Richard Bird and there was another man whose name escapes me. Sorry if that's you but I suspect it's not!!!! as you describe yourself as a "young whipper snapper" ha ha,

Hi Meltman. Long time in replying, sorry. Think the other chap you could not remember was Reg Frost? Did all the cine work. Lived off Abbey Lane and, unfortunately, was discovered hanging out of his car on Cemetery Road (I think) having suffered a massive heart attack. Was in the RAF and taken prisoner by the Germans. Was always quoting German expressions but never talked about his imprisonment.

I so admire the 28 days later gang, wish it was around in my youth.

The website is a great place to spend an hour or two and quite addictive.

Sorry...... back to topic :D

behind the medical centre(up a passage way just to the left of med centre) was access to the firth brown rifle club which i had the pleasure of running for some years

Hello! I'm aware that I'm really digging this thread up! I am producing a documentary about the Firth Brown Medical Centre, and some of the stories on this thread are particularly interesting. I have only just joined the forum so that I can comment, and cannot private message any of you due to the 'five post' rule. If any of you would be interested in telling me more, please private message me.

Hi 

i was looking for more details regarding Reg Frost the photographer. 
can anyone help?

On 18/06/2013 at 16:17, shaunfl said:

There was also a canteen area as well as the medical centre on Carlisle S, I attended both at times. :) They would have been air raid shelters for the works and possibly for the school that was just behind these buildings.

The FB canteen that was above the Carlisle Street East medical centre was on Forncett Street-access via Garter Street-was initially built as a school, my dad attended there in th 1920s. It was the only secondary school in Pitsmoor until Burngreave school opened in 1931, I believe the old school/canteen is still there but used as what, I don't know.

• Like 1