Yet another "where to live" thread..

Sorry all :)

Bit of a lurker, first time poster here. We're looking at a potential move to Sheffield after living abroad for the past three years. My other half is originally from Sheffield but not lived there in over 13 yrs so isn't sure where to look. He used to live in Woodseats, has some family in Lowedges and would potentially be working in the industrial estate near Meadowhall.

We would be looking for a 3 bed house ideally, reasonably quiet area (we have a 1 yr old, not so much into partying nowadays!), good public transport links (no car to start with), not too crazy expensive. Local schools are not important so much at this stage as we would eventually look to purchase rather than rent but it's a bonus I guess if there are nice schools near by and we could look to buy in same area :)

Any ideas? I gather Firth Park/Manor/Nether Edge/Pitsmoor are to be avoided...? Not sure why though :)

Thanks!

If your going to be working near Meadowhell take a look at the Supertram route and see if anything suits you there.

Manor Park is a lot better nowadays (nothing at all like 10yrs ago) and easy access to city centre with lots of public transport, shops on manor park centre are handy with a big co-op. The new area known as Parklands is good with all the new properties that aren't council.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its the best place in Sheffield to live but if you want to be this side of city and don't want to be paying out loads it's ideal.

Where ever you decide to go welcome back to UK and hope works out well for you.

Edited by Stuart82

My friend has just moved on to the Manor, It's very quiet where he is and nothing like as chavvy as it used to be, Though i guess some parts are still to be avoided. :)

Though i guess some parts are still to be avoided. :)

Agree there

Chapeltown is reasonably priced, with decent amenities for kids.... library, swimming pool, supermarket, park and sports clubs for kids etc

2 mins to the M1 less than 10 to meadowhall 1 junction down.

I am not saying it is the best area in Sheffield but it does provide reasonable value for money and good access to meadowhall.

Generally the prices on rightmove will tell you most desirable area of Sheffield!

I lived in Sharrow S11 8BH from 2001-2010.

No problems at all, terrace houses there rents for around 550+.

My kids goes to Sharrow Primary, Jessica Ennis' primary :-)

Chapeltown would be a good shout if your other half is working near Meadowhall. If you are the other side of Sheffield its quite a trek across town.

Chapeltown to Meadowhall is less than 10 mins on the train and costs are shown below.

Days/Months Price

Day rtn £3.00

7 Days £12.90

1 Month £49.60

3 Months £148.70

6 Months £297.30

12 Months £516.00

Not many houses to rent but found this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-39470957.html

Thank you all for your responses :) Definitely given us a bit to consider and look out for. The interview is Monday so hopefully we will know more then. I am trying not to get too excited!