Would you let your home to students?

I assume the OP was never young and never had to be forced to clean their bedroom?

Students no longer have Mum nagging them, so they don't tidy (or a lot don't).

It doesn't help that there are 4 or 5 people living in the same house, none of whom want to tidy someone elses mess or wash their dishes.

I used to let out a four bed flat to students and there were rarely any problems.

However, I was surprised to find that females were a far messier bunch than guys (or mixed couples)!!

A great revenue stream and I'd do it again.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I used to let out a four bed flat to students and there were rarely any problems.

However, I was surprised to find that females were a far messier bunch than guys (or mixed couples)!!

A great revenue stream and I'd do it again.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

That doesn't surprise me. Some girls can be very dirty in my experience.

I think it's a bit of a risk. My sister rented when she was studying and she was probably more of a model tenant than most non-students. However, we lived next to a couple of students who completely destroyed their back garden and shed, so god knows what they did to the house!

I'm astounded these kind of threads keep popping up

Bad drivers

Bad cyclists

Bad students

Bad people unemployed

Can everyone not come to their own conclusion, some people are tw*ts, some people are nice enough to respect other people and their stuff?.. I'm aware this isn't talking about bad students etc, but it's the same principle.

..when landlords rent out to kids what do they expect...everything spick amd span all the time?

But they're not kids, they're young adults. No-one's expecting them to skip round the house with a tin of Mr Sheen and a duster every week, but some of them have absolutely no idea that they're supposed to wipe something up when it's spilt, or wash up occasionally. Some parents let their children leave home with no concept of how to take care of themslves or their surroundings because they've always done everything for them.

I own a number of students lets ,and have done for many years. Before i moved into the student let market i let my houses out as family homes ,and believe me the state some of my properties were left in when vacated was a lot worse than when my students vacate every summer. Give me students anyday . I take a deposit to cover and damages ,and enough to cover having a company in to deep clean the houses when the students leave in July. Ok, you get the usual repairs to see to ,like leaking pipes, blocked toilets, etc, but generally students are no worse than familys .

But they're not kids, they're young adults. No-one's expecting them to skip round the house with a tin of Mr Sheen and a duster every week, but some of them have absolutely no idea that they're supposed to wipe something up when it's spilt, or wash up occasionally. Some parents let their children leave home with no concept of how to take care of themslves or their surroundings because they've always done everything for them.

Is this from experience or are you just guessing?

and your friend is making how much by letting to students? A pretty standard price for a double room in a student house is £60-70 per week. I've seen lots of 4 bedroom places round us go for under £120k, some end up being student places.

Trust me, your friend is laughing all the way to the bank. I'm sure the last thing he's worried about it a bit of rubbish to pick up at the end of a tenancy.

I cant complain with what my student lets earn me . Thats why i went down the roads of student lets rather than family homes ,as the monthly rent can be more than double what my houses would earn as family home lets.

Let me house out to one student. It was cleaner than we left it when we returned. I think his mother might have been around though!

my daughter cleans student flats, some very dirty,some not, but one guy's flat she cleaned, a week later the mother phoned complaining, she had left toast crumbs on the side, ?????

think the mother thought everytime her son had toast, my daughter should go wipe the sides after him lol.