New paving on the Moor

I love the new paving they are putting down on the Moor this week. Any ideas how I can find out what they are and who where to buy?

If you wait a couple of years they will be dug up again and thrown away. Then you can take all you want!

How many times since the moor was closed to traffic in the early 80s or late 70s that this area as been repaved / changed.

4 i think.

I think the development that is happening at the moment is going to encourage businesses to move back to the City Centre. Also most of the shops are offering discounted parking in the new multi storey car parks and the new markets will offer the same deal.

But it's Sheffield forum, you can't say anything positive about Sheffield, it's not allowed ;) You've got to moan and whinge about everything positive and say it's bad for the city.

I recall being down the whicker when the repairs were being carried out after the floods.

They were just ripping up good solid 2 inch thick slabs with a digger and putting them in to lorries.

What a waste! They could have been resold to put a little money back in to the coffers to cover some of the cost.

It is after all tax payers money.

I recall being down the whicker when the repairs were being carried out after the floods.

They were just ripping up good solid 2 inch thick slabs with a digger and putting them in to lorries.

What a waste! They could have

been resold to put a little money back in to the coffers to cover some of the cost.

It is after all tax payers money.

But the Moor repaving is not

gonna cost the tax payer anything its being funded by Scottish Widows.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It will take more than yet another repaving operation to attract people back to the Moor. I mean, when was the last time you went to another town and thought, "Ooh, I like this paving, I'll come here again"? It's the shops that attract people in so until they do something about the lack of them I don't suppose it will make a lot of difference.

It will take more than yet another repaving operation to attract people back to the Moor. I mean, when was the last time you went to another town and thought, "Ooh, I like this paving, I'll come here again"? It's the shops that attract people in so until they do something about the lack of them I don't suppose it will make a lot of difference.

I think the new market and the 8 new shops that front it will attract quite a few people.

Considering SCC's so mad about re-cycling, maybe it would be a good idea to re-cycle bits of Sheffield.

Theoretically, all the roads are going to be dug up to re-surface them. In Crookes, all the side roads still have cobble stones under the tarmac (as I'm sure roads do in other areas too). Whilst digging the roads up, why not pull up the cobbles too and use them for the new Moor paving ... attractive and a bit of history.

The old concrete paving on the moor could be pulled up and crushed for hardcore for the side-roads instead of the cobbles. Two jobs in one and half the price. Much 'Greener' too!

Cobbles aren't cheap either ... about a tenner each if you want to buy some!

How many times since the moor was closed to traffic in the early 80s or late 70s that this area as been repaved / changed.

I recall the Moor being closed to traffic around 1978 and for a good year or so there were huge wooden (and again, for a good while, empty) planters put in the road. At this point, the road and its markings was visible, no paving of any sort.

I'd then guess that with the building of the Band Stand - ugly, ridiculously sited and already a thing of the past (ie, another waste of tax payers' money) - the road was paved over. And I'd guess this took place in the early 1980s.

The council then ripped up some of the paving to reveal tram-tracks and built some hideous trams - just the front parts - in brick. A beautiful curve of cycle track, about two yards long and with its own exclusive traffic light was implemented around the same time.

Habitat didn't last; McDonald's gave up; Hamley's proved to be a fly-by-night and what was once a parade of decent shops turned into the open sewer it resembles today.

The council, in my opinion, spelled the death knell for the Moor - and the city centre in general - when they decided to close it to traffic and park the ugly great Manpower building at Moorfoot.

You can see the old early eighties Moor and infamous Band Stand in the nuclear war film, Threads.

And to be fair, I doubt nuclear armageddon could have made a bigger mess of the Moor than Sheffield City Council did!

Does anyone know why they have left big holes in the new paving and covered these holes in with tarmac? Looks awful...

Does anyone know why they have left big holes in the new paving and covered these holes in with tarmac? Looks awful...

Dunno, but maybe there are some trees to go in, or underground services, and will be made good after..

I honestly really like The Moor now that it's been cleared of all the tat in the middle; you can see the potential that it has as the largest area for retail in the city centre. Developments over the next few years will see it flourish.

Unfortunately, the owners are planning to re-fill it with the type of kiosks that have made it look messy for the last 30 years. They say that they will prevent it becoming an "unattractive 'windswept’ area which would otherwise very likely attract unwanted fly traders etc.". That's worked before, hasn't it?

Apparently the designs of the kiosks haven't been finalised yet, though they are likely to be in stainless steel to reflect Sheffield's history; that's a new idea! There are some drawings of what it's going to eventually look like on The Moor website, http://www.moorsheffield.com.

Feel free to use their contact section to tell them your views on their plans.