Building a boat at canal wharf, 1960s

Does anyone remember the Jamaican (I think his surname may have been Phillips?) who in the 1960s built a steel-hulled boat on Sheffield's canal wharf with the intention of sailing it overseas? I remember in c. 1962 seeing him, welding torch in hand, building the boat; at that time it was just a steel framework. Some time later I saw a TV "Look North" feature showing him with the completed boat, and a lady from the Sheffield's West Indian community made a speech and maybe launched the boat. I often wonder whether he achieved his dream of sailing the seas in his boat!

• Like 1

I recollect this guy didn,t he make it too big with the result that he could,nt exit the canal basin never mind sail the high seas?.Have I got it right?:confused:

His name was Joe,he made the hull in concrete.If I remember correctly,as they lowered the Hull into the canal basin, it went straight to the bottom, it sank.

Joe's concrete boat must have been a different one, as I clearly remember seeing a steel-framed boat being built on the canal wharf at about the same time as the one hillsbro remembers from the 1960s. I also seem to remember something in The Star about the boat being launched.

Thanks everyone for your input, and especially me-and-pippo for the link. I had tried to find any relevant threads using search words "boat", "canal wharf" etc. but it didn't turn anything up.

But in fact I did know that Joe was an amateur film maker, as when I saw him at work in c. 1962..I was with my Uncle Syd who had been a tram conductor. A couple of years earlier Joe had made a film about trams, just as they were being withdrawn, and Syd was the conductor on the tram he had used for location shots.

Hi old tup- I also remember a boat that wouldn't fit under one of the bridges and so was marooned on a short length of the Sheffield Canal, but I think this must have been a different boat. I wonder if it ever made it to the open sea, maybe with a bent mast...

Joe certainly struck me as being quite a colourful character. I had assumed that his boat had either been launched, or that it had got close to being launched, as I distinctly remember the TV feature showing the boat.

But this has spolied my little dream. I had fondly imagined the colourful Joe finishing his boat, sailing home to Jamaica and living happily ever after, cruising the Caribbean!.:)

Thanks again, Forummers.

I knew Joe in the early 60's. He had a photographic studio in space rented at the old Hillsborough Park Cinema. I went to watch him, and learned a heck of a lot about portrait photography. He lived in the Nether Edge area. A nice guy, but just a little flaky.

Thanks everyone for your input, and especially me-and-pippo for the link. I had tried to find any relevant threads using search words "boat", "canal wharf" etc. but it didn't turn anything up.

But in fact I did know that Joe was an amateur film maker, as when I saw him at work in c. 1962..I was with my Uncle Syd who had been a tram conductor. A couple of years earlier Joe had made a film about trams, just as they were being withdrawn, and Syd was the conductor on the tram he had used for location shots.

Hi old tup- I also remember a boat that wouldn't fit under one of the bridges and so was marooned on a short length of the Sheffield Canal, but I think this must have been a different boat. I wonder if it ever made it to the open sea, maybe with a bent mast...

Joe certainly struck me as being quite a colourful character. I had assumed that his boat had either been launched, or that it had got close to being launched, as I distinctly remember the TV feature showing the boat.

But this has spolied my little dream. I had fondly imagined the colourful Joe finishing his boat, sailing home to Jamaica and living happily ever after, cruising the Caribbean!.:)

Thanks again, Forummers.

Joe was a friend of mine and like hundreds of others used the Canal Basin for what it was intended for, I.E. A living working thriving every day boat yard, A boat yard,that was then given over to the Barristers, Hoteliers, and fancy Dans that inhabit it today.

Another example of Sheffield life taken away from Sheffielders often of limited means and given to those that have it all.

R.I.P. Joe you was a star in a sea of mediocracy.

Edited by dafodil
sailing on.

Does anyone remember the Jamaican (I think his surname may have been Phillips?) who in the 1960s built a steel-hulled boat on Sheffield's canal wharf with the intention of sailing it overseas? I remember in c. 1962 seeing him, welding torch in hand, building the boat; at that time it was just a steel framework. Some time later I saw a TV "Look North" feature showing him with the completed boat, and a lady from the Sheffield's West Indian community made a speech and maybe launched the boat. I often wonder whether he achieved his dream of sailing the seas in his boat!

As far as I remember it was seized for non payment of mooring fees.

As far as I remember it was seized for non payment of mooring fees.

That is correct as where many others but! B.W.B. wanted all the rag tag and bobtail [in other words the skint and interesting ones out] so as they could sell of the publicly owned Land to big business.

As usual the less well of suffered.

Hi

I am the late (Capt'n ) PHILLIPS HMRoyalNavy

Joseph Oscar PHILLIPS 

Retired

Wind rush Generation.

Son,

My Dad built the Boat/Barge 

Named

Hunter 77

Plus

A speed boat

I am 

Mr MjP

Independent

Volunteer

Consultant

Pri' PARENT GOV'

@

GOV.UK

I was born in 1969 Sylvia was my English mom,  I was taken from my West Indian Jamaican born dad in 1972 & mine were taken from Me in 2013. Age's 3mth, 11yr & 12yrs of age.

I have Full CO&PR

He were not allowed to see Me until I became 18yrs old he died when I was 14yrs & I'm not allowed to see, speak or love my own Children born here at our Family home until they get to 18yrs old.

NIETHER OF US DID WRONG

HE WAS & I AM 

The wrong shade of Brown to be treated British & Male.

Says it all I think 

Broken Dreams 

Killed

By

The welcoming needy still goes for My dad, me & his nowmissing 5yrs grandchildren 

Wonder what My Dad would say today?

We both share a common breach of our human rights as both child products of & workers for free for HRH 

Empire 

Yet both, we  had our own taken to work for Free for the Common wealth.

All I want is to share with mine

That what me & mine did not have

Time together sharing pure love

Thanks

For remembering my Dad.

44 minutes ago, Mr M j P Pri'PG said:

Hi

I am the late (Capt'n ) PHILLIPS HMRoyalNavy Joseph Oscar PHILLIPS  Retired Wind rush Generation Son. My Dad built the Boat/Barge Named Hunter 77 Plus A speed boat.

Hi - thanks for your input. Doing a  web search on the name "Hunter 77" I found an 1972 photo on the 'picturesheffield' site - here is a link.   http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s34688

Your dad must indeed have been quite a character and I would like to have known him!

Edited by hillsbro