Free speech is it dead and buried?

Is there a problem wih you reading posts? Read posts 83 & 103. This is nothing whatsoever to do with the possibility of offending anyone. It is a myth. How many more times does it have to be said? It's not true. It's made up. Read the link in post 83 & for heaven's sake stop trying to perpetuate something which has been proved to be nonsense & aired on the Forum more times than I can count.

I know exactly what you mean - maddening isn't it? Makes me think of Whack-a-Mole with opinions and evidence instead of moles and mallets.

It is a myth. How many more times does it have to be said? It's not true. It's made up..

What bits not true??? i know for sure that the kids been taught to say rainbow sheep and not to say black sheep as the kids have come back from school telling us "your not aloud to call it black sheep now because thats racist" this has come from a kids mouth aged 8.

What bits not true??? i know for sure that the kids been taught to say rainbow sheep and not to say black sheep as the kids have come back from school telling us "your not aloud to call it black sheep now because thats racist" this has come from a kids mouth aged 8.

Did you read post 83? It's a well-known & documented urban myth. It didn't happen. Look at the link in post 83 & perhaps you won't make the same mistake again.

Why is it only stupid people perpetuate this myth about Baa Baa Black Sheep? (Note the spelling of Baa)

This Wiki page was one of the first hits when I Googled the story: Baa Baa Black Sheep myth, so if I can find proof of it being a myth why do the idiots not do some research and find something to back up their nonsense?

This was just a page ago.

This was just a page ago.

I cba reading para's of something im not interested in.. heres my pov..

if people on here are saying baa baa black sheep being changed to rainbow sheep is a myth then it maybe a myth in certain areas.. but i know for a fact that a bunch of school kids have come home telling us that they can't call it black sheep anymore 'cos its racist... that has come out of a childs mouth so how can anyone on here say schools teaching kids rainbow sheep is a myth... when its not.

thats all am saying

I was commenting on the change of words ..

Same here... it is not a myth when ur kids are coming back telling you this is what schools been teaching us today....

some people rely upon user editable sites such as wiki to make their point valid.. when clearly the person who wrote that wiki page didn't go visiting sheffield schools asking about a rainbow coloured sheep

One last thing.. when i first saw the title of this thread i was thinking along the lines of free speach./ not childrens rhymes., so i came onto this thread to say ..... no not where the police are concerned... tell them something they dont like n they'll lock you uppp... so no theirs no free speach in certain places

Seriously? That doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence in your opinion I'm afraid.

Same here... it is not a myth when ur kids are coming back telling you this is what schools been teaching us today....

some people rely upon user editable sites such as wiki to make their point valid.. when clearly the person who wrote that wiki page didn't go visiting sheffield schools asking about a rainbow coloured sheep

Kids do pick up on influences other than their teachers. Whatever they may be.

But you're right, Wiki can be open to question but it can also point you in the right direction to more solid sources.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

Wiki can be open to question but it can also point you in the right direction to more solid sources.

i got a solid source for ya sort of lol .. just been to my mrs' to ask about this as she use to teach at (un named) primary school n she told me they are being taught to sing rainbow sheep as it incurridges multi cultureism for the children..

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

I was commenting on the change of words not on the banning of the song? Is that a myth as well?

I think the only way to settle the argument is for someone who works in a school to clarify the situation...

OK. I'll do that for you. I work in a school. Baa Baa Black Sheep isn't banned.

My son goes to a local primary school. It isn't banned there either.

My daughter goes to a local pre-school ... not banned there either.

It should be, though.

It's a blatant rip-off of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Why is it only stupid people perpetuate this myth about Baa Baa Black Sheep? (Note the spelling of Baa)

I can tell you that it was banned at one Burngreave nursery and rainbow sheep had to be used instead. When the person complained that saying rainbow sheep would confuse the kids as there are no rainbow sheep she was then given a warning.

As for true free speech in that you can say anything without fear of prosecution that only applies to a few places, in the Houses of Parliament, courts of law the coroners court and some other I have forgotten.:)

I can tell you that it was banned at one Burngreave nursery and rainbow sheep had to be used instead. When the person complained that saying rainbow sheep would confuse the kids as there are no rainbow sheep she was then given a warning.

As for true free speech in that you can say anything without fear of prosecution that only applies to a few places, in the Houses of Parliament, courts of law the coroners court and some other I have forgotten.:)

No you can't; you're just repeating hearsay. Warning my eye.

OK. I'll do that for you. I work in a school. Baa Baa Black Sheep isn't banned.

My son goes to a local primary school. It isn't banned there either.

My daughter goes to a local pre-school ... not banned there either.

It should be, though.

It's a blatant rip-off of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

maybe banned is the wrong word.. my question is... are your kids going to school and getting taught Baa baa rainbow sheep... or baa baa black sheep?

at the school our kids go to they get taught rainbow sheep for the reason i mentiond before