Free speech is it dead and buried?

A subject that is of interest to all forum and on line contributers is to be discussed in Sheffield this week.

If like me you think that the right to speak freely and honestly without the threat of litigation or as on line forums are concerned banned, then this week coming you can attend meetings in Sheffield starting on Monday at the Town Hall.

The main lecture and discussion are at 6 PM on Tuesday when the roll of free speech in our country will be aired.

Let us all fight for the rights that have been part of this country for a thousand years and not let the P.C.brigade win.

Edited by dafodil

If you're advocating free speech, it might be a good idea to get it right first. The idea of a roll of free speech may be O.K. for Greggs, but maybe not for encouraging people to speak out.

You might also let us in on who this P.C. brigade are.

You might also let us in on who this P.C. brigade are.
they are usually mps/councillors who think they are doing the right thing but as usual do more damage than good :hihi:

Nobody is stifling free speech. Authorities may be acting on offensive comments. And if you need to be told that making sexual jokes about a missing, potentially dead little girl then you're seriously lacking in common sense and basic decency and shouldn't even have the right to be able to post them.

As for threats of litigation, all you have to do is back up your post with evidence and facts. Sadly that seems to be lacking on here, all people seem to be able to do is name call.

The Saville threads are a great example of that. Other forums still have their discussions going, but this one comprised of people posting some very sad stuff about what they thought he was and what they'd like to do to him.

I'd say spread your wings and contribute to some other forums. Only this one seems to have to be heavily moderated, and the reason why are the users, not the mod team.

A subject that is of interest to all forum and on line contributers is to be discussed in Sheffield this week.

If like me you think that the right to speak freely and honestly without the threat of litigation or as on line forums are concerned banned, then this week coming you can attend meetings in Sheffield starting on Monday at the Town Hall.

The main lecture and discussion are at 6 PM on Tuesday when the roll of free speech in our country will be aired.

Let us all fight for the rights that have been part of this country for a thousand years and not let the P.C.brigade win.

http://www.vas.org.uk/events2/98

I have just read it online. I would attend but unfortunatly I work. I am a little irked that most events are organised to not take into account people who work.

However my little moan shouldnt overshadow the week. I hope it does go well. It seems more and more in this country we are not allowed to express ourselves freely.

Edited by woodmally

they are usually mps/councillors who think they are doing the right thing but as usual do more damage than good :hihi:

You obviously missed the bit about the first meeting being at the Town Hall.

You obviously missed the bit about the first meeting being at the Town Hall.

Yes but the MPs and councillors promote free speech when it suits them.

Yes but the MPs and councillors promote free speech when it suits them.

If that's the case then dafodil is letting the PC Brigade win by promoting their campaign despite the fact that in the OP it says the PC Brigade shouldn't win.

People use words like PC Brigade and political correctness without thinking and without defining exactly what they mean. It just becomes a meaningless cliche or contradictory to their argument. If the OP had given a concrete example of where and how political correctness has stifled debate and how this meeting could overcome that, it would have been a help. Otherwise it's just an empty dig.

For the record, restrictions on free speech in this country include defamation, sedition, incitement and encouragement of terrorism, breach of the peace, the Official Secrets Act, harassment, trade secrets and military secrets, all of which and others predate political correctness. The anti-PC could be more specific about what it is they're not being allowed to say.

If that's the case then dafodil is letting the PC Brigade win by promoting their campaign despite the fact that in the OP it says the PC Brigade shouldn't win.

People use words like PC Brigade and political correctness without thinking and without defining exactly what they mean. It just becomes a meaningless cliche or contradictory to their argument. If the OP had given a concrete example of where and how political correctness has stifled debate and how this meeting could overcome that, it would have been a help. Otherwise it's just an empty dig.

For the record, restrictions on free speech in this country include defamation, sedition, incitement and encouragement of terrorism, breach of the peace, the Official Secrets Act, harassment, trade secrets and military secrets, all of which and others predate political correctness. The anti-PC could be more specific about what it is they're not being allowed to say.

I can give a few examples.

1 Sheffield City Council banning the song baa baa black sheep as it has racist conotations

2 Sheffield City Council chaninging the certificates for swimming because they see it as racist.

3 Sure Start Sheffield banning Christmas (now I'm an athiest but people should be allowed to celebrate whatever they want).

4. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/police-intervene-in-battle-of-offensive-china-pigs-1157337.htm

Do you want anymore examples?

I can give a few examples.

1 Sheffield City Council banning the song baa baa black sheep as it has racist conotations

2 Sheffield City Council chaninging the certificates for swimming because they see it as racist.

3 Sure Start Sheffield banning Christmas (now I'm an athiest but people should be allowed to celebrate whatever they want).

4. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/police-intervene-in-battle-of-offensive-china-pigs-1157337.htm

Do you want anymore examples?

Sheffield City Council has not banned baa baa black sheep.

Surestart have not banned Christmas.