Teaching English as a foreign language

I am thinking of teaching English as a foreign language.

I am in a relatively well paid job now but I am fed up of the boring routine that comes with work! I'm 25 and I really want to try something new, but I am scared as I am in a good job. I don't know whether to stay at work or bite the bullet and go abroad?

Any advice would be great!

I am in a relatively well paid job now but I am fed up of the boring routine that comes with work! I'm 25 and I really want to try something new, but I am scared as I am in a good job. I don't know whether to stay at work or bite the bullet and go abroad?

The days when you could just go abroad and get a good TEFL job because you're a native English speaker are, if not gone completely, then very short.

Why not sign up for a qualification whilst you're working? You'll get the sense if you like it or not plus you'll have a wider choice of jobs if you do and get better pay and conditions.

Go for it - you can always come back. But go with a little bit of preparation.

No need to leave Sheffield, lots of non-English speakers in the city need to learn English.

No need to leave Sheffield, lots of non-English speakers in the city need to learn English.

Yes but not the sunshine :hihi:

Which foreign language is your degree in ?

It makes a difference as to what is available.

The days when you could just go abroad and get a good TEFL job because you're a native English speaker are, if not gone completely, then very short.

Why not sign up for a qualification whilst you're working? You'll get the sense if you like it or not plus you'll have a wider choice of jobs if you do and get better pay and conditions.

Go for it - you can always come back. But go with a little bit of preparation.

I suppose it depends on what you call a good job, but there are plenty of places in South East Asia that a native speaker can get a relatively easy teaching job that pays well enough to live an enjoyable lifestyle. Even more so with a degree.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the best course of action is to do a (recognised) qualification before heading out. It might also be a good idea to get some experience too - I'm sure there are places in Sheffield you can volunteer. Teaching is a proper job and not everyone is cut out for it - I've seen more than one person discover that a month into their new life abroad.