Sheffield Local TV - Sheffield Live

This questionnaire does state Doncaster, but please answer questions as they were your local town/city.

Hello

I am part of a group of year 12’s at Edlington Business and Enterprise College, taking part in an Enterprise challenge. Our project is based on a local company called Fern Creative.

Fern Creative produce local TV programs covering subjects on Doncaster. They have been involved in many projects such as the opening of Robin Hood Airport, Hothouse 2005 and Doncaster Live 2006.

Fern Creative have been discussing, and considering the idea of a Doncaster TV station for roughly 2 years, and are currently considering broadcasting this TV station on the internet.

Before, they can fully commit themselves to this; they require information on whether the idea is feasible, and if it will be a success.

This is where we come in, as we have been given the task of producing a report on the matter.

It would be very helpful for our task, if you were to fill out the questionnaire below.

If you wish to see a rough idea of what to expect, please visit doncaster.tv

1. Gender: Male or Female

2. Age range(not required if you so wish): Under 16, 17-24, 25-35, 35- 50, 50+

3. How satisfied are you with the current level of coverage of [your town/city] on TV stations? :

Highly satisfied, Satisfied, Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied, Dissatisfied, Highly dissatisfied

4. Do you currently have broadband access?

5. Do you ever view video content online, and if so how often? : More than once a day, once a day, Few times a week, Once a week, Once a month, Less than once a month

6. Would you be interested in watching TV programmes and news about [your town/city]?

7. Would you be interested in viewing a [your town/city] TV station online?

8. If so, what type of content would you like to see?

9. What do you think of the current Doncaster.tv website?

10. Would you be willing to pay a subscription fee for a local TV station website? If so, how much would you be willing to pay a month?

Thank you, for taking your time to complete this questionnaire.

It will be of great help to the project, and we truly appreciate your help.

1. Gender: Male

2. Age range(not required if you so wish): 25-35,

3. How satisfied are you with the current level of coverage of Sheffield on TV stations? : Satisfied

4. Do you currently have broadband access? Yes

5. Do you ever view video content online, and if so how often? : Few times a week,

6. Would you be interested in watching TV programmes and news about Sheffield ? Yes

7. Would you be interested in viewing a Sheffield TV station online? Yes

8. If so, what type of content would you like to see? Local history and local news.

9. What do you think of the current Doncaster.tv website?

Good

10. Would you be willing to pay a subscription fee for a local TV station website? If so, how much would you be willing to pay a month? £5

Hope this helps and good luck with your work.

Local tv is coming to the UK,but Sheffield will be near the end of the list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16157352

Do we want it Do we need it ,when Look North is quite capable of providing us with enough dross.Look North will probably become look Leeds officially.

Who has the time to watch all this tv?All the news is on here anyway.

Local tv is coming to the UK,but Sheffield will be near the end of the list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16157352

Do we want it Do we need it ,when Look North is quite capable of providing us with enough dross.Look North will probably become look Leeds officially.

Who has the time to watch all this tv?All the news is on here anyway.

I don't know, it's a difficult one to call. On one hand there are so many important issues and decisions in Sheffield that inhabitants aren't aware of because of the focus of Look North and the obviously horrific job The Sheffield Star does.

On the other hand, we don't live in isolated, autarkic communities any more and so the national news often covers the big issues important to us as country whilst letting local news pick up the dregs such as "local Post Office door hinges loose" which are of no consequence for anyone.

I am confident these new stations will provide local communities with programming which is relevant to their daily lives

The BBC licence fee will finance some start-up costs, but advertising is likely to fund the services.

I give it 3 years before the idea is abandoned.

Why not just buy a couple of video cameras and set up a YouTube channel?

I cannot believe England's fourth biggest city is once again sidelined in favour of places such as Preston and Swansea!

I wish sheffield did have its own tv station as i have no interest in areas north of sheffield

Looking at that list, it does appear to be in alphabetical order....

"Barnstaple, Basingstoke, Bedford, Cambridge, Carlisle, Guildford, Hereford, Kidderminster, Luton, Maidstone, Malvern, Salisbury, Sheffield, Stoke on Trent, Stratford upon Avon and York."

K.

But don't you think that TV as part of the media in our society is on it's last legs. With the Internet getting bigger and bigger more people will just turn to some sort of 'You Tube' or Forum. I get most of my local news straight from this forum nowadays, as has already been mentioned 'The Star' is useless and is going downhill rapidly. I give it 4 - 5 years before it dies a death. BBC local radio is suffering severe cuts. I learnt about the bloke trying to throw himself off the block of flats more or less as it was happening on here. OK, some things on here you take with a pinch of salt, and I'm as much to blame as the next man for ridiculous posts, but if you have a sense of humour and can sort the mental from the nearly sane, the internet is the way forward. Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Forums, etc.

I find I watch more local news now than I ever did. When I lived in Manchester, Channel M was stuck on a bit of a "Dave" style loop with programmes repeated, but the news was far more local and in depth than Granada - they'd open with "Murder in Greater Manchester" and you'd find it was the far end of Rochdale some 50 miles away.

Plus, like Look Leeds, the NW based news programmes are very Manchester-centric, Wirral barely gets a look in. In fact, I watch the Wales regional TV programmes because they're more local to me than Manchester is (unless they talk about Cardiff!)