Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

In the late fifties early sixties we use to go from the Victoria on the fishing excursions on Sat/Sun. The train would go down to Boston stopping at all stations on the way.Proper trains of course, steam trains. The last time i went on one of the fishing trains must have been around 63/64.

Can you remember when you had to get off at Lincoln to buy another ticket.I think it was because you were going onto a different companies line.Also did you ever go fishing to Brigg on the milk train?All from the Victoria station.

There used to be five stations in Sheffield.

Victoria,

Midland,

Wadsley bridge,

Darnall,

Attercliffe,

Brightside,

Heeley.

To name but a few.

Victoria,

Midland,

Wadsley bridge,

Darnall,

Attercliffe,

Brightside,

Heeley.

To name but a few.

there was also 2 in chapeltown, east & west in ecclesfield, 1 at wincobank, my uncle lived in the station house at wincobank until mid to late 70s

The five main stations were Victoria,Midland,Park,Bridgehouses and Wicker.

there was also 2 in chapeltown, east & west in ecclesfield, 1 at wincobank, my uncle lived in the station house at wincobank until mid to late 70s

There was also one at Neepsend before the war.

... Never saw the Master Cutler but saw a few Sandringham class on the boat train from Harwich. Was there a South Yorkshireman train from Huddersfield to Marylebone or is it a figment of my imagination?
The Sandringham (B17) class often pulled the boat train in the 1950s. After about 1959 it usually had a Britannia or sometimes a B1 (always a Stratford loco). The Harwich-Liverpool train would arrive at about 1 pm, and the loco then handed over to an electric; it would wait at Darnall shed before taking the "up" train back to Harwich at 3-04 pm. The South Yorkshireman ran from Bradford Exchange to London Marylebone. The 1954 timetable shows that it called at Low Moor, Halifax, Huddersfield, Penistone, Sheffield Victoria, Nottingham Victoria, Loughborough, Leicester, Rugby and Aylesbury. It left Sheffield Victoria for London at 11-34 am and the return journey reached Sheffield at 8-40 pm. It was usually pulled by an A3, sometimes a B1.

I must have started traveling from Victoria when I was still being carried about in somebody's arms during the 30's. My Grandparents were Cheshire people and had a lot of connections in that county and that was the route taken via Manchester. As a kid I always went that way; Victoria, Manchester Central, Northwich. I clearly remember going up in the lift from the Wicker and also at times the hard way up the steps, then the walk to the station booking hall past the hotel, looking down into the kitchens. The booking hall looked very classy to me, even then. It seemed very modern, nowadays I suppose it would be 'Art deco'. As a kid I didn't know what class of engine pulled the trains which took us on our journey but my Grandad always told me because he was a driver stationed at Bridgehouses. The highlight of the trip was Woodhead Tunnel, emerging from the tunnel at Woodhead and the views of the reservoirs continuing almost into Manchester stay in the memory.

If you are interested, Buy Train Simulator 2013 off of Steam and you can download and drive the complete Woodhead route from Victoria to Manchester.

See the video here

The five main stations were Victoria,Midland,Park,Bridgehouses and Wicker.

Never heard of Park station and I think bridgehouses was only for freight goods.

Park Station (between Furnival Road and the Canal Wharf) was also for goods only, as was the former LMS's City Station, adjacent to Broad Street. Here's a map. Park Station closed in 1963, City Station in 1965.

8-00 am train from Victoria to Doncaster, 1s - 8d return and a days trainspotting either on the station or on St James Bridge. The magical sight of those expresses running through the middle roads.