Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Our new rail group are well aware that the Sheffield services to Lincoln and Cleethorpes via Brigg once started from Sheffield Victoria

There was also a lift, complete with an attendant who collected a fare of ½d from each passenger.

In the early 1960s my school pals and I used to go to Crewe from Sheffield Victoria, via Manchester Piccadilly, for a day's trainspotting. The half-fare day return to Manchester cost 4s.9d and from Manchester to Crewe and back cost 3s.6d - total 8s.3d or about 41p. Sometimes I would get up early and go to Victoria station to see the Master Cutler leave at 7-40 am - it was usually an A3, often 60102 Sir Frederick Banbury. Memories...

I have a Sheffield "bus guide" dated May 1954 which has a complete list of departures from Victoria station. Anyone who would like JPEG scans is welcome to PM me an email address.

In the mid to late sixties the master cutler ran via sheffield midland my army railpasses made a point of saying the pass could not be used to travel on it.We generally used the thames clyde express.

Yes I remember the Victoria station. The steps were on the right side as you were walking towards Attercliffe, many of them as I remember ! I recall a cinema also on the right by the steps named Studio 7 if I am correct.

There was also a police box just before the steps. In 1942 a policemen caught an escaped German POW as he was passing the box ready to make his escape to Liverpool !

There was also a Sheffield Vic hotel at the station, and my mother sang there as an entertainer in the bar/lounge areas sometimes. I was outside by the door with crisps and a ginger beer !

Edited by glennpickard
forgot something

In the mid to late sixties the master cutler ran via sheffield midland my army railpasses made a point of saying the pass could not be used to travel on it.We generally used the thames clyde express.

I think the 'Master Cutler' was first class tickets only, no matter where you where you sat on the train.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 22:10 ----------

Yes I remember the Victoria station. The steps were on the right side as you were walking towards Attercliffe, many of them as I remember ! I recall a cinema also on the right by the steps named Studio 7 if I am correct.

There was also a police box just before the steps. In 1942 a policemen caught an escaped German POW as he was passing the box ready to make his escape to Liverpool !

There was also a Sheffield Vic hotel at the station, and my mother sang there as an entertainer in the bar/lounge areas sometimes. I was outside by the door with crisps and a ginger beer !

That reminds me of a story I heard that during WW2, a Sheffield Transport conductor, when a person got on bus/tram in the Wicker and the man couldn't figure out the change for the fare. When the vehicle reached Staniforth Road the astute conductor alerted a policeman stood on the pavement, of his suspicions and it turned out the passenger was a German spy.

I think the 'Master Cutler' was first class tickets only, no matter where you where you sat on the train.
There was second class accommodation (even during 1958-1966 when it was a Pullman train) but certain types of ticket, such as cheap day returns, couldn't be used. Here is an extract from my post #141 on Page 8:

I also travelled to Retford on the Master Cutler in 1964 when it was Pullman stock. You couldn't use day return tickets on it, but I had a "holiday runabout" ticket which was actually valid. I can still see the look on the posh Pullman-car attendant's face as he disdainfully allocated me a seat. I'm sure he didn't like to allow this scruffy-looking sixteen year-old trainspotter on his train but he was powerless to stop me..:P. Here is a scan of the runabout ticket which I still have.

There's a Wikipedia article about the Master Cutler here.

I used to travel to Liverpool regularly, with my Mum & Dad. I think it takes longer now than it did then 1945-1955. I think the Woodhead tunnel helped. That's progress for you.

As a youngster I used to go from the Victoria to Penistone regularly to visit my Aunt and Grandparents.

I'm fairly sure the Master Cutler ran through Midland Station in the 60s,

I remember going to London for an interview in the late 60s for an interview and because I was getting expenses went in the restaurant car for a full English breakfast, absolutely marvellous, served me right though I didn't get the job.

I'm fairly sure the Master Cutler ran through Midland Station in the 60s,

I remember going to London for an interview in the late 60s for an interview and because I was getting expenses went in the restaurant car for a full English breakfast, absolutely marvellous, served me right though I didn't get the job.

I know for a fact that the Master Cutler ran through the Midland Station in the late 60s.

The Master Cutler began to run from the Midland Station on 7 October 1968.

As a trainspotter I visited Victoria farly regularly between 1961 and 1964 but I rarely travelled from there. I remember travelling to Belle Vue zoo in 1961 or '62 and Blackpool in 1961 both from Victoria. I can remember going from Victoria to Darnall, I think the fare was sixpence, a number of times at least two of which were illegal journeys. One was in a brake van which was being hauled back to Darnall by a K3. The name of the guard who allowed us in his van was Mr Green. The other time was in the cab of a B1 but my friend and I had to sit on the floor tucked in by the tender so no one could see us and we were kicked out on the flyover into Darnall shed. There were three crew on the footplate including a young man by the name of, I think, Jim Noonan. We were filthy but highly excited. The last time I travelled into Victoria was in the summer of 1968 after I had been on holiday to Great Yarmouth with my Aunt and Uncle. I travelled back alone as my relatives were staying on for another week. The train was supposed to be going into Midland but was diverted into Victoria for some reason and I had to wait for my dad to make his way from Midland to pick me up.

By the mid sixties, for trainspotting purposes, Victoria was pretty much a lost cause so we rarely visited it much preferring other locations.

Hello there, i remember victoia station. Only travelled from there once in july 1960, as a young boy it was the start of my summer holiday with mum and dad. We caught the overnight express to portsmouth harbour for our ferry connection to the isle of wight. Don't know what platform, but i remember we stood on a platform that resembled one of being like the london underground with a blank brick archway wall opposite as the big black rattler came to a noisey halt. Wish we could turn the clock back-great times.