Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Passengers weren't stopping at Victoria during this time but they were still passing through on the Sheffield to Huddersfield via Penistone services which reversed at Nunnery sidings and took the lines through Victoria.

Edited by darylslinn

i used to work in the signal box at woodburn junction in the 60s, always wondered why it was called WOODBURN JUNCTION when it was just off WOODBOURN RD

School holidays often saw me off on the train to my Gran and Grandfathers, at Linby near Hucknall. Sometimes I got left there to stay for a week or more. It once took hours to get there because of engineering work.

I took my first ever photograph on Victoria Station in 1954 - VictoriaStation_zps306b2ded.jpg

Edited by crookes

Hi crookes - an interesting photo! The ex-Great Central J11 looks like 64422 from Retford (36E) shed. The single headlamp indicates a slow/branch passenger service; it may have arrived with a such a train from that area, perhaps returning with the 3.42 pm "all stations to Retford" that is shown in the 1954 timetable.

Hi hillsbro - It was Annesley based 64431, withdrawn two years later. Fitting that it was from Annesley as my grandfather was a signalman there, among other locations.

...It was Annesley based 64431...
Then maybe it took the 4.08 pm "all stations to Nottingham Victoria"..:)

My late Father and his family lived on Parkwood Springs where many railway families lived.

My Grandfather and two of my uncles were drivers. My Paternal Great Grandfather was also an engine driver back in 1878.

My Maternal Grandfather was also a driver who worked out of Darnel Loco sheds until his death around 1950.

We travelled regularly to Penistone from Victoria where my Grandfather and Grandmother had retired to.

Victoria was an LNER line and the Midland was LMS. The only time I went from Victoria was on the milk run very early in the morning to go fishing in a lake near Worksop,I think it was called Langdale or similar.

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 20:15 ----------

On a slightly different tack. When I was stationed at Catterick Camp in 1947/8 time I would travel by train from Sheffield Midland to Darlington and then catch the Flyer into camp centre. On Darligton station was one of the first engines ever built, in my ignorance I thought it was the Rocket but somebody said no it was a slightly later model. I often sat on the plinth waiting for the Flyer.

Does anyone know anything about it.

Hi Da link went - "Locomotion No 1" and "Derwent" were preserved and on display at Darlington station - see here for example.

Hello

Some people may not be aware but their used to be 2 ( main ) train stations in Sheffield.

Sheffield Victoria Station closed on the 5th January 1970 despite a public outcry

The station was the scene in 1954 of the first “mainline” electric train service from Sheffield to Manchester, the station also served places like London Marylebone, Leicester, Rugby, Lincoln, Skegness, Cleethorpes to name a few

After closure the line from Sheffield Victoria – Hadfield/Manchester/Wath became a freight only line until 20th July 1981 when BR closed the line between Deepcar-Hadfield & Penistone-Wath

Sheffield Midland- Huddersfield passenger services continued to travel through the station until the 15th May 1983

The station buildings were demolished in 1987 and all that remains today are the outlines of the subway walls and some outlines of platform 5

A group of us have started a Sheffield Victoria Station facebook page which you will find the link for at the bottom.

We would love to hear from anyone who travelled from Sheffield Victoria or visited the station when it was closed.

You can leave your comments on here or on our facebook page

Thanks

SVS Admin Team

i got a train to Ipswich from there in the 60s

i got a train to Ipswich from there in the 60s
That would be the mid-afternoon "Harwich boat train" that linked the two ports of Liverpool and Parkeston Quay. It arrived from Manchester behind an EM2 electric loco, then the Stratford "Britannia" or "B1" that had brought it from Harwich in the morning took over, having taken on water and coal at Darnall. Some of the coaches had stickers on the windows stating that the seats were all reserved for shipping line passengers. The train had its origins in the days when ocean-going liners would arrive at Liverpool with passengers who wanted to continue on to places served by the Harwich steamers. Eventually it didn't serve Liverpool, and for a time ran from Glasgow & Edinburgh (with the name "The European") via the West Coast Main Line, Manchester, the Hope Valley line to Sheffield and then as before to Parkeston Quay. Edited by hillsbro

In the late 50's, I think the steam loco was usually a Sandringham class.