Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Hi Runningman - Blast Lane is still there alongside the canal but the adjacent area is pretty much unrecognisable. Building the Parkway involved cutting through the location where we used to sit on the wall, with Bernard Road now being carried on a new bridge over the Parkway. The junction of the Parkway and Derek Dooley Way is almost directly over where the signal box used to be. Here is a then-and-now comparison of an old map and a modern "Bing" aerial view of the equivalent area. The location of the wall where we train-spotted is marked with a red arrow on the map. The blue arrow marks the direction in which two photos, old and new were taken. Here is the old photo - the upper bridge carried Navigation Hill, which linked Blast Lane with Bernard Road. The lower bridge carried the line into the old LMS goods station. Navigation Hill was replaced by part of the Supertram route - shown on this modern photo.

great pics hillsboro can remember this bridge well from my trainspotting days before i got a job as a messenger boy at the vic station then moving on to be a train recorder at woodburn jcn signal box

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 13:21 ----------

I am wearing my rose tinted spectacles and speaking as an old git with many childhood train spotting memories.

To me there was something romantic about the Victoria, it's architecture and surroundings.

The potential of seeing such a variety of loco's.

B1's, V2's, A1's, Director class, Britannia's and even the very occasional A4 and then of course the electric's.

ex Train Spotters live and die with some cherished memories of a time when the world somehow moved along much slower. Even the tram journey down into the Wicker and the climb up those steps made the day.

If you went late evening you even saw a few rats running around at the far end of the platform.

At semi final time at Hillsborough when a London team was competing, a good idea to go there on the Saturday afternoon and get sight of an A4.

can remember going down to beighton and watching the fish train go over the viaduct and hearing the shouts from the others if it was a BRIT. happy days

Hi Hillsboro

I occasionally went spotting in that location, problem is now I can't quite recognise the exact place on what I thought was Blast Lane. I think it could be surrounded by industry.

We always knew the area as St. Johns, where the traffic lights are now there was a shop that opened all hours and on the lower side of the shop was Aston Street that led onto the Abbatoir and the post office and Kens barber shop,we went spotting on the wall that was directly opposite the St. Johns end of Aston St.

Happy Days indeed.

Hi rossyrooney - I remember Charlie Husbands' shop on the corner of Aston Street and Bernard Road (here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo). He did a roaring trade in the summer months selling Tizer, sweets etc. to us kids who sat on the wall opposite. If he'd stocked the trainspotters' staple food (Lyons fruit pies - eightpence from the station buffet) I reckon he could have retired earlier..:)

I went to Crewe in the early 60s with my mum on a steam train from Victoria we also went on a club trip from there I think it was to Cleethorpes. Some of the drivers used to let me and my mates sit in the trains cab and we used to pretend to drive them no chance these days with all the H&S rules.

LNER, London North Eastern Railway operated from Victoria.

Hi - I used to travel when a child from Sheffield Victoria to Retford - I remember stations such as Kiveton Bridge, Shireoaks, Worksop.When we got off the train at Retford, we would go over the 'coal drops', which was a step bridge over the line where the steam trains used to get coal 'dropped' into the tender. What a sight coming home,tired with bags full of fruit and vegetables from the smallholding we visited, and seeing all the smoke and flames from the steel works as we crossed the bridge in Attercliffe - Happy Days!

LNER, London North Eastern Railway operated from Victoria.

for some reason we used to call it the G.C. not the LNER dont know why, i know the midland was THE LONDON MIDLAND SCOTTISH

for some reason we used to call it the G.C. not the LNER dont know why, i know the midland was THE LONDON MIDLAND SCOTTISH

Originally the Manchester - Sheffield - London Marylebone line was owned by the Great Central Railway - I think.

Originally the Manchester - Sheffield - London Marylebone line was owned by the Great Central Railway - I think.

Victoria Station was built by:

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway( was formed by the merger of the

Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway

Sheffield and Lincolnshire Junction Railway

Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway)

Became the Great Central in 1897 when the route to Marylebone was being built.

Grouped into the London and North Eastern Railway system in 1923.

In 1948, when it became British Railways' Eastern Region.

Midland Station was built by:

The Midland Railway became the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923and in 1948 it became British Railways' Midland Region and became British Railways' Eastern Region in 1958

Edited by Annie Bynnol

As a young boy, i lived in the old railway cottages opposite the Durham Ox pub on Cricket Inn Rd, My father worked for the railway all his life doing different jobs, and i was really lucky because sometimes at weekends he would take me with him if he was going anywhere interesting e.g Donny sheds, Donny plant, millhouses, barrow hill. As a trainspotter like others have said i used to wait for the "Brit" coming in at one o, clock before i went back to school at St, Johns, C.I.R. they were good times as i remember.

Trainspotting. Armed with two copies of Leslie Allens LMS & LNER, we used to go to the crossover where you could spot both sets of lines.. elf n safety would not allow it now.

Trainspotting. Armed with two copies of Leslie Allens LMS & LNER, we used to go to the crossover where you could spot both sets of lines.. elf n safety would not allow it now.

I went there in 1958. As you say, its a good spot as you get bot LNER and LMR lines.