Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Hi 25195348 - yes, memories indeed! Sheffield Victoria closed as a result of the second Beeching Report which stated that British Railways could not afford to run two Sheffield-Manchester passenger services. By 1970 Victoria Station had lost its eastbound services, thanks to some new track work at Nunnery Junction that enabled them to run into the Midland Station. Although the Woodhead line to Manchester was faster, the Hope Valley route was chosen, and so passenger trains via Woodhead ended in January 1970 and Victoria Station closed. Until 1981 Sheffield-Huddersfield trains ran from the Midland Station, first to Nunnery Junction, where they then reversed and continued through what remained of Victoria Station and on via Deepcar and Penistone. The Woodhead route closed completely in 1981, by which time the Trans-Pennine coal traffic (the main reason why the line was electrified) had declined. Sheffield-Huddersfield trains then ran via Barnsley, Silkstone Common and Penistone as they still do now.

In the 1950s a few trains still went from Sheffield Midland via the Hope Valley line to Manchester, even after the fast electrified service via Woodhead had begun. An example from the 1956 timetable was the 5-32 pm departure, which stopped at "Heeley, Millhouses, Dore & Totley and all stations to Manchester (Central) via Stockport". This train would have gone via Stockport (Tiviot Dale) station, Didsbury and Chorlton-cum-Hardy: another section of line that closed under Beeching.

I remember it well used it many times 50s/60s.

My friends and i had a large home made trolly we use to carry peoples suitcases on it from Victoria Station to mostly the Bus stations it saved them carrying them we charged them a small fee of course.

I was a fireman at Darnall Loco from 1963 until it closed in 1965 then I was stationed at Tinsley loco. I did many trips through Victoria, local goods trips between Bernard Road Sidings, Bridgehouses, Harvest Lane, Neepsend Gasworks, Neepsend Power Station and up to Wadsley Bridge.The first passanger train I ever worked on was on Christmas Eve, from The Vic. to Retford. We used to work to Lincoln, Doncaster and Cleethorpes, Darnall men used to work the Master Cutler to Kings Cross, but I never got on it, I did get a

s far as Banbury once with the York-Bournmouth, which reversed at the Vic.

Happy days,happy memories, wish I could do it all over again.

Hey,steviered. I worked as a fireman at Grimesthorpe but at a later date worked as a goods guard and transfered to Bridgehouses. An old mate of mine worked as a fireman from Darnall name of Roger Watts. Did you know him at all? It's possible he was a passed fireman when you were at Darnall.

We used Sheffield Victoria a lot my dad being a railway man I will never understand why it closed after spending money on electrification which was fast to Manchester even now a faster service than from Midland Stn.

A number of people are still shocked that this once fine station is now a car park :sad:

Can't understand their way of thinking regular fast trains accross the Pennines, it was a good freight route too.

The Great Central Railway was the last main line to be built too, at the turn of the last century Sir Edward Watkin had plans to build a main line from Manchester through Sheffield,Nottingham,Leicester, Rugby into London Marylebone station and beyond through a Channel Tunnel and on to Paris. It was also a buizy passanger and freight route from north east to the south west.

All the great stations have gone now Sheffield Victoria, Nottingham Victoria, Leicester Central, also lots of jobs for lots of people.

used to go fishing down lincolnshire wi mi dad in 1940s

I was recently looking at some pictures of Victoria Station on "picturesheffield" and saw a cabin from which carriage cleaners used to sally forth from when the trains came in, with their mop buckets and brushes and cleaned the carriage windows and then retreated back in again.

I think I must have been one of the last passengers to alight at Victoria Station...,,In 1973 there was flooding on the Hope valley line and Midland station was closed so they ran a train.(or trains ) through the Woodhead tunnel and we got off at a very sad looking Victoria Station

Hello

Some people may not be aware but their used to be 2 ( main ) train stations in Sheffield.

Sheffield Victoria Station closed on the 5th January 1970 despite a public outcry

The station was the scene in 1954 of the first “mainline” electric train service from Sheffield to Manchester, the station also served places like London Marylebone, Leicester, Rugby, Lincoln, Skegness, Cleethorpes to name a few

After closure the line from Sheffield Victoria – Hadfield/Manchester/Wath became a freight only line until 20th July 1981 when BR closed the line between Deepcar-Hadfield & Penistone-Wath

Sheffield Midland- Huddersfield passenger services continued to travel through the station until the 15th May 1983

The station buildings were demolished in 1987 and all that remains today are the outlines of the subway walls and some outlines of platform 5

A group of us have started a Sheffield Victoria Station facebook page which you will find the link for at the bottom.

We would love to hear from anyone who travelled from Sheffield Victoria or visited the station when it was closed.

You can leave your comments on here or on our facebook page

Thanks

SVS Admin Team

It would not happen these days but the drivers used to let me and my mates sit in the cabs and we pretended to drive the trains.

Used to catch the train to go fishing at stickswald Lincolnshire when we were kids 1955 to 1960.great days.

Used to catch the train to go fishing at stickswald Lincolnshire when we were kids 1955 to 1960.great days.

This seems to be a popular subject on here and on our facebook page, We know their were early trains around 3am that left for fishing trips in the 1950's and 60's

I went to torksey as a young child iin the early 60s it was a real treat and I caught lots of fish and eels it was a great day out I think we got the milk train happy days bassett one