Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

I believe Wicker stn was the first direct linr to Rotherham.
That was the old Wicker Goods Yard between Spital Hill and Savile St.

my dad used to take me fishing to the river witham (usually southrey or stixwould) i believe there were four early trains starting at about 6 am,we would try to get the first one from sheffield and get the last one back, each train was packed

my dad used to take me fishing to the river witham (usually southrey or stixwould) i believe there were four early trains starting at about 6 am,we would try to get the first one from sheffield and get the last one back, each train was packed

My brother used to take me on those trains and I believe the fare was 5/0s return and 2/6 for me.

That was where the goods train went through the Fiery Jack tunnel to Bridgehouses.

It actually began as a passenger station, and was Sheffield's first railway station - see here.

It actually began as a passenger station, and was Sheffield's first railway station - see here.

I never knew that and I lived most of my early years in the Wicker.

My first ride on a train was in August 1945 travelling from Sheffield Vic to Cleethorpes for our first sighting of the sea. Whilst we were there the war finally finished with the defeat of Japan. Our next trip from Sheffield Vic was in 1947 to London Marylebone for fortnights holiday with relations. I do remember travelling around London by tram, and compared to Sheffield trams they were truly ancient. Then for the next 5/6 years the annual holidays were always at Brid, and to get there we always left from Victoria station. Later all travelling from the city centre seemed to be from the Midland station, although thanks to Dad's membership at the Darnall Libs WMC, with had our annual trips to Cleethorpes leaving from Darnall station. My next time I used Victoria station was in 1960 when the RAF posted me back to the UK from Australia and my new wife and I travelled from Southampton to Sheffield. We returned to Sheffield last year for our first visit in 42 years, and one the many changes we noticed was the closing of Sheffield Vic. To me it didn't appear to be one brightest moves made.

Always loved train journeys as a child because buses (especially 'charas') & trams made me feel sick. The trains were so comfortable with beautiful woodwork in the carraiges, clean upholstery and doors to close between you & the corridor. In school holidays we had the odd trip to Blackpool or the east coast from Victoria but journeys I remember most were those to Belle Vue, Manchester. As kids we loved seeing all the animals but I shudder now to think how they were kept in those cages.

Did anyone ever catch the Harwich " Boat Train " and travel to Holland / Europe?

The last service of this train though Sheffield Victoria Station was on Saturday 3rd Jan 1970

In the late fifties early sixties we use to go from the Victoria on the fishing excursions on Sat/Sun. The train would go down to Boston stopping at all stations on the way.Proper trains of course, steam trains. The last time i went on one of the fishing trains must have been around 63/64.

When we came to live in Sheffield in 1953 we arrived at Victoria, but came out by the ramp as we were staying overnight at The Alexandra more or less opposite the bottom of the ramp (and cheap too I suspect). A short while later we moved to The Manchester Hotel on Nursery St. After nagging them the locals agreed totake me fishing to Saxilby.We got the milk train at some unearthly hour in the morning, and when we had walked across half of Lincolnshire to the fishing spot they set up a rod for me, but after about 10 minutes I fell asleep and didn't wake up til it was time to come home. I also used to wag school sometimes and go to Penistone train spotting instead. I remember the steps and the lift

After nagging them the locals agreed totake me fishing to Saxilby.We got the milk train at some unearthly hour in the morning, and when we had walked across half of Lincolnshire to the fishing spot they set up a rod for me,

Their seems to be a number of people who have said they went on fishing trips to Lincolnshire from Sheffield Victoria Station, day trips to Cleeethorpes are also a fond memory

Their seems to be a number of people who have said they went on fishing trips to Lincolnshire from Sheffield Victoria Station...
Yes - there's an old thread about them here.