Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

8-00 am train from Victoria to Doncaster, 1s - 8d return and a days trainspotting either on the station or on St James Bridge. The magical sight of those expresses running through the middle roads.
Yep - that was the fare (for under-14s) in 1957. My school pal Trevor and I went there one summer Sunday afternoon. As it was already about 2 pm the booking clerk at Victoria Station was surprised that we were going just for a half day. The first A4 I ever saw came through on a London-Edinburgh train a few minutes after we arrived at Doncaster. It was 60010 Dominion of Canada, complete with bell. Never to be forgotten... When nothing much was happening you could play in the ex-WW2 tanks in the scrapyard adjacent to St James's Bridge..:)

Left Victoria in the 50s to go work in Scotland.

We were supposed to change at Hawick, but very nearly missed it because the conductor was shouting "oik".

I believe Wicker stn was the first direct linr to Rotherham.

As a childI remember going up the steps near the Wicker Arches, along a path that ran parallel to the train line, then up to the station. Most memories are of using a labeling machine on the platform. It cost 1d or 2d, you would put letters in the machine which would punch onto a copper type strip. It never really did work fully.

As a childI remember going up the steps near the Wicker Arches, along a path that ran parallel to the train line, then up to the station. Most memories are of using a labeling machine on the platform. It cost 1d or 2d, you would put letters in the machine which would punch onto a copper type strip. It never really did work fully.

I remember that, it was like a clock but with letters, you turned the hand to the letter that you wanted to punch.

as a child i can remember gettint the steam loco to millhouses park we used to jump of before it got to totley those steps in the wicker were hard work even as a kid lol happy days

Our school had a trip to Paris in 1955 and we left from Victoria station for London on the midnight [ ? ] train. It all seemed exciting to a kid of 13...........a bit like out of a film !

[ It was a 10 day, all-inclusive holiday and it cost my Dad £20 ! Don 't know what the train fare was at the time, though ? ]

A lot of effort and cost went into the Sheffield to Manchester electrification project. I'm sure it seemed a good long term investment at the time. Its rather sad that it had such a short lifespan. Maybe the big increase in car production in the late 50's and early 60's was part of the trouble.

from being eleven i used to stay with my aunt and uncle who lived in rugby, my father used to take me to the victoria station and put me on the train. he always asked the guard if i could sit in the guards van to make sure i got off at the right station, only to be met by my aunt. when i got to thirteen i used to insist on riding in carriage, usually i had one to myself. this was late fifties early sixties, pulled by steam of coarse.

8-00 am train from Victoria to Doncaster, 1s - 8d return and a days trainspotting either on the station or on St James Bridge. The magical sight of those expresses running through the middle roads.

Yes we used to go to Doncaster regularly from Victoria especially during the six weeks holidays, probably a few years earlier than you. I remember the fare then being 1 and 7 pence halfpenny then. (inflation even then eh?). Great days on the station till about 12 o' clock, then off to the Plant, climbing up the gas lamp to see what engines were in the workshop, then a walk up to the sheds to try to sneak in there. We'd then go back to the station and quite often wouldn't get back home until 7 or 8 o'clock in the evening, usually as black as the ace of spades! Happy days!