Resources for beginner in Japanese?

Hi. I'm a beginner at learning Japanese. It will be a long time before I go to Japan, but I really want to avoid learning the language in my own little bubble. What resources are there in Sheffield to help me keep the subject feeling alive?

Hi Jonny, I am also a beginner at learning Japanese. The resources that I have found so far are the University of Sheffield - give it a go month. You need to buy a ticket at their box office for £15 (that's for a month) classes start on the 31st of oct. Then there's the language school in Sheffield (£50 for the year if on job seekers.) But the only problem with this is places go fast.

my daughter would love to learn japanese but it isnt taught at her school so she is using youtube!!

Thanks for the information. To angelwings1 and other beginners: after LOADS of looking round the web, I'm using http://guidetojapanese.org as my primary source of study. It teaches you to teach yourself. It gives you the really important stuff first, even thought it's the hardest. All the lesson examples are written only in Japanese (no English phonetics), which makes you learn the alphabet. I cannot recommend this site enough.

The other great find of mine is: http://japanese.about.com/library/blkodarchives.htm

I'm using this to learn kanji, and the other site to learn the grammar.