Sex Pistols/The Clash @ Black Swan 1976

Bet when you get men of a certain age drunk enough this is just like Woodstock... everyone was there!

Forty years ago today. It would be nice if the place reopened in time for the 50th anniversary.

A mate of my mate worked for Virgin records and tipped us off about the gig. If I remember the pistols were on the bill as the paint spots or something. We weren't sure whether he was winding us up or not so didn't go

the Clash played Sheffield only one more time - January 27, 1980. At the Top Rank.

by that time they'd been round the block a bit, and played not just Hull and Bradford, but also Houston and Boston.

Hi, I was at the Sex Pistols gig at the Mucky Duck with my mates. We used to shop in Malcolm MClaren / Vivienne Westwoods shop called Let it Rock, and got to hear about The Pistols then. When we heard they were playing Sheffield we had to go and check them out. All went well until my mate admonished Johnny Rotten for his shabby attire and he responded with a colourful reply. Around the same time we saw Kilburn and the High Roads there.

Edited by SaintsAll
clarity

the Clash played Sheffield only one more time - January 27, 1980. At the Top Rank.

by that time they'd been round the block a bit, and played not just Hull and Bradford, but also Houston and Boston.

Not true, they played at The Lyceum, October, 1981

On 02/07/2017 at 11:22, SaintsAll said:

Hi, I was at the Sex Pistols gig at the Mucky Duck with my mates. We used to shop in Malcolm MClaren / Vivienne Westwoods shop called Let it Rock, and got to hear about The Pistols then. When we heard they were playing Sheffield we had to go and check them out. All went well until my mate admonished Johnny Rotten for his shabby attire and he responded with a colourful reply. Around the same time we saw Kilburn and the High Roads there.

Ciao, I'm researching about this from Italy: do you remember if Malcolm McLaren was also there? He was with the band on the day before in Hastings - and on July the 5th the Pistols and The Clash went to Dingwalls in London to see The Ramones. Vic Godard from Subway Sects remembers the night wrongly saying that Malcolm asked them to form the band at the Roundhouse (July the 4th) while Joe Strummer was right in the front row - how could he if he was in Sheffield playing?  It must be at Dingwalls then, the day after, not at the Roundhouse. Thanks in advance

Officially not recognised anywhere but if i said sex pistols played halfway pub goldthorpe Barnsley in may 1976 would you believe me ?

On 30/06/2023 at 22:07, geetee said:

Officially not recognised anywhere but if i said sex pistols played halfway pub goldthorpe Barnsley in may 1976 would you believe me ?

An old work colleague Dave Hill (not the one in Slade) once told me similar. He was there.

• Like 1

I've got to ask if you're certain it was the Halfway?... I was a regular in there in the late 70's, and never heard such a thing, and tbh the best side was very small and although the tap room was bigger it had a snooker table and (if I remember rightly) two pool tables taking the space up... it was a family run pub who had it for many years and I can't imagine the landlord having bands on... never mind the Pistols. A more likely candidate would be the Goldthorpe Hotel a few hundred yards away, they had a sizeable room that used to accommodate a large-ish audience for strippers. 

• Like 1

Not sure but 4 people who I've spoken to online say it's the halfway including 1 who's mum worked behind the bar saw them play but as I said no record anywhere so can't be 100% sure it's also mentioned in the book England's dreaming but only says Barnsley 

I've finally tracked down my old friend Dave Hill and he confirmed he saw the Sex Pistols in the Halfway, he says a promoter from Rotherham persuaded them to play it. He says one of the regulars told the band 'if tha spits on mi girlfriend, I'll leather ya', or similar. They were pretty shambolic but John Lydon had a certain star quality.

• Thanks 1