Millspaugh ltd, alsing road.

I worked there when it was Ashlow steel about 1978.

i worked as apprentice in the maintenance dept with les chalonner jim rooke and alan bomber baines not forgetting ted monks plus pipe fitter bernard stinking feet??? forgot his second name........and bernard moore was foreman at that time..........great times

Edited by moo4707

my dad worked for millspaugh in the 70s, his name was frank wild,i cant recall what he did there,i think he could have been a machinist, but i know he was involved with the works football team. i remember the inter departmental cricket matches they had on bawtry rd, i even played in one when i was about 13 or so when his side was short.i think his best mate was a bob smith .

I started work there as an apprentice turner.

Was found a position at Daniel Doncaster's when it closed.

Anyone remember me ?

Anthony (Tony) Cardona

On 04/03/2015 at 23:13, TORONTONY said:

Wonder if you knew a Les Cartiledge, nicknamed Liggy by his apprentices. He was in charge of young platers and welders at Millspaugh,and he brought 4 of his young lads with him when got the foreman's job at a company I worked for in the mid- seventies called Group Fabrications, who rented part of the Millspaugh building. Sadly, he died of lung cancer about 2 years after joining us. I can only recall 2 of the youngsters first names one was Gary and the other was Graham. Ironically the first 8 years of my working life 1961 to 1969 were spent right next door i.e. Hadfields.It's all Meadowhall now of course

Hi my name is Granville  Slater I worked  in the fab shop from 1968  until  it closed  when  the last owners  rotherham  engineers had  it but the name liggy  doesn't ring abell  I was the profile burner I worked  with  Dave gill  Dougie  Busby  Wyn  haycock  Barry Wright and many more 

I also worked  has a  grinder for many  years 

21 hours ago, Gran slater said:

Hi my name is Granville  Slater I worked  in the fab shop from 1968  until  it closed  when  the last owners  rotherham  engineers had  it but the name liggy  doesn't ring abell  I was the profile burner I worked  with  Dave gill  Dougie  Busby  Wyn  haycock  Barry Wright and many more 

I also worked  has a  grinder for many  years 

Hi Granville, I am the poster who you replied to, I changed my username due to a misunderstanding of the forum fules.

Anyway the name  "Liggy" was what the cheeky young lads who came over with him from Millspaugh called him. His proper name was Les Cartiledge and he was the boss over those apprentices at Millspaugh  who came over with him, maybe he was in a training dept. or something if you didn't know him. He was a short stocky guy with thinning grey hair combed straight back in his 50s and had a gruffish voice probably because he smoked about 10 Park Drive an hour. .Lol.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Knew Les Cartiledge in the late 60's when he was at the Davy United Training School running the apprentice training Fab shop. 10 yrs later I worked in the drawing office on Alsing Rd but by that time it was Ashlows.

On 04/03/2015 at 23:13, TORONTONY said:

Wonder if you knew a Les Cartiledge, nicknamed Liggy by his apprentices. He was in charge of young platers and welders at Millspaugh,and he brought 4 of his young lads with him when got the foreman's job at a company I worked for in the mid- seventies called Group Fabrications, who rented part of the Millspaugh building. Sadly, he died of lung cancer about 2 years after joining us. I can only recall 2 of the youngsters first names one was Gary and the other was Graham. Ironically the first 8 years of my working life 1961 to 1969 were spent right next door i.e. Hadfields.It's all Meadowhall now of course

I was an apprentice at Davy united from 1967 and Les Cartiledge was the fabrication guy. I believe his son worked there to ?

I remember he was a heavy smoker

On 15/01/2020 at 22:57, 399Leighton said:

I was an apprentice at Davy united from 1967 and Les Cartiledge was the fabrication guy. I believe his son worked there to ?

I remember he was a heavy smoker

can any body shed any light on this, an old thread 

Copy & paste

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3852309

Notices under the Trustee Act 1925

NOTICE UNDER SECTION 27 OF THE TRUSTEE ACT 1925

THE SULZER PENSION SCHEME (THE “SCHEME”)

Notice is hereby given pursuant to section 27 (1) of the Trustee Act 1925 that the Trustee of the Sulzer Pension Scheme (the “Trustee”) is winding up the Sulzer Pension Scheme (including the Sulzer Section and the Dowding & Mills Section) (the “Scheme”). If you have received communication from the Trustee regarding the wind up of the Scheme, then you do not need to take any action. 

Any former employees of Sulzer (UK) Holdings Limited or any associated company*, who believe that they are a member of the Scheme are required to provide details to the Trustee by contacting Stephen Walker, Sulzer Pension Trustees Limited, Manor Mill Lane, Leeds, LS11 8BR; email ukpensionenquiries@sulzer.com. Anyone who believes they have any other interest, claim or entitlement in relation to the Scheme but have not received announcements from the Trustee, should contact the Trustee in the same way.

Claimants should provide their full name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number, the period during which they worked for Sulzer (UK) Holdings Limited or any associated company* and any documents supporting their claim. Claims must be made within 2 months of the date of publication of this advertisement. In addition, if any person or persons have any other claims against or interest in the Scheme, they are requested to set out particulars of such a claim in writing within 2 months of the date of publication of this advertisement. 

After the 2 month period, the Trustee may distribute the assets of the Scheme amongst the persons entitled thereto having regard only to the claims and interests of which they have prior notice and will not, as regards the assets so distributed, be liable to any person of whose claim they do not have notice. 

TRUSTEE OF THE SULZER PENSION SCHEME. Date: 28th July 2021 

* Other companies that participated in the Scheme are: [Sulzer Pumps (UK) Limited, Sulzer Metco(UK) Limited, Sulzer Wood Limited, Sulzer Electro Mechanical Services (UK) Limited Sulzer Chemtech (UK) Limited, Sulzer Pumps Wastewater UK Limited, Dowding & Mills (UK) Limited, Dowding & Mills PLC, Sulzer UK Holdings Limited, Sulzer Infra, Sulzer Vascutek, Millspaugh, New Sulzer Diesel, Mardon Dot, Sulzer Kabe, Sulzer Compression, Alfred Smith Insurance Limited, Balfour Williamson & Co Limited, Bartholomew London Group Limited, Baumann Hinde & Co Limited, Bentley Wine & Spirit Service Limited, Bootham Engineers, Carpenters of Widnes, Carpenters Wine Merchants Limited, David Oliver Limited, Emerald Stainless Steel Limited, Ernest Bigland & Co Limited, F E Wright N W Limited, Fourways, Gracie Beazley Limited, Grays Soft Drinks Limited, Hay & Son Limited, Holt Maritime Enterprises Limited, Homeworthy Furniture Limited, House of Aton Lancs Limited, International Cotton Consultants Limited, J L P Lebegue & Co Limited, J P O’Brien & Co Limited, John Holt & Company Liverpool Limited, John Holt Development Co Limited, John Holt Equipment Limited, John Holt Group Limited, John Holt JCB Limited, John Holt Overseas Limited, John Holt Vintners, John Holt Wines Limited, Jones Soft Drinks Limited, L A Rix & John Holt Limited, Lamb & Watt Limited, Lonrho Africa, Lonrho Africa Trade & Finance Limited, Lonrho Hotels Africa Management Services Limited, P J H Group Limited, Peter J Hopkinson Limited, Phillips Optical Company Liverpool Limited, Pland Stainless Limited, R N Bollans & Co Limited, Ross Munro & Co Limited, Saker Limited, Sheer Pride Limited, T F Ashe & Nephew Limited, T P Mallorie & Co Limited, Taylor Rustless Fittings Co Limited, TRF Pland Limited, Tudor Knight Limited, W Halliwell & Co Limited, Walsh Pattison & Kaye Limited, William Neesham Limited, William Robson Brewers Limited]

Edited by kidley
web page added

Footballer and Tinsley born Gordon Banks worked at Millspaugh in the 1950s (according to his book), before turning pro with Chesterfield FC.