Millspaugh ltd, alsing road.

did you work here in late 60s till it closed in 77 ?

Yes I was an apprentice there from 1971 until it closed in 1977. i worked in the fitting shop assembling the bits and pieces before shipping them out all over the world. We were taken over by Sulzer group. What was your job there?

My late dad used to work there, then firth derions.

Yes I was an apprentice there from 1971 until it closed in 1977. i worked in the fitting shop assembling the bits and pieces before shipping them out all over the world. We were taken over by Sulzer group. What was your job there?

Wonder if you knew a Les Cartiledge, nicknamed Liggy by his apprentices. He was in charge of young platers and welders at Millspaugh,and he brought 4 of his young lads with him when got the foreman's job at a company I worked for in the mid- seventies called Group Fabrications, who rented part of the Millspaugh building. Sadly, he died of lung cancer about 2 years after joining us. I can only recall 2 of the youngsters first names one was Gary and the other was Graham. Ironically the first 8 years of my working life 1961 to 1969 were spent right next door i.e. Hadfields.It's all Meadowhall now of course

Edited by TORONTONY

I worked at millspaugh from1970 to it closed i worked as an electrician in the maintenance dept. Roger lee.

My dad used to work here, he was a lorry driver I think his name is Thomas Codd anybody know him. I remember as a young lad my dad used to take me round the factory on the fork lift truck. my dad used to know a fella called Ali who worked at the guard house I think.

Ali lived in a company house further down alsing roadwith his wife and kids.Cant remember youre dad sorry.

My dad, radial arm driller, there till 77 (I think), I remember all of us family driving in to collect his wages from the wages office one week, the car full of suitcases, spades and buckets, then going straight off on holiday - happy!

Edited by Insidestory
Remove personal info

hi i was a maintenance electrician from 1971 to when it closed in 79. Roger lee.

My father Roy Hellewell worked there from the fifties until his sudden death in 1962

Hello, I worked at Sulzer's for a couple of years until they closed. One side of Alsing Rd was the Fab Shops and the old T.I. building was where the Goods Inwards and the Joiners Shop making and then creating up the finished products. A fab shop is a fab shop and same as all the others. But it was the best hourly rate in the area and premium time paid on all overtime hours, good meals in the canteen, Big Derek (?) was the Works Convenor, a great human being of a person.

Any body know who the company insurers were for millspaugh any info would be helpfull . Thanks Roger lee i worked there until it closed. I was an electrician.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 16:31 ----------

Could anybody tell me who the company insurers were during the early seventies until it closed and when Ashlow engineering took over the site. Thanks Roger lee.